CalWORKs (cash assistance)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)


Who is it for?

CalWORKs is a public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child(ren) in the home. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally in Yolo County by the Health and Human Services Agency.

If a family has little or no cash and needs housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care, they may be eligible to receive immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses. 

The amount of a family's monthly assistance payment depends on a number of factors, including the number of people who are eligible and the special needs of any of those family members. The income of the family is considered in calculating the amount of cash aid the family receives.

Specific eligibility requirements include an applicant's citizenship, age, income, resources, assets and other factors. Generally, services are available to:

Families that have a child(ren) in the home who has been deprived of parental support or care because of the absence, disability or death of either parent.

Families with a child(ren) when both parents are in the home but the principal earner is unemployed.

Needy caretaker relatives of a foster child(ren).

How to Apply:

Apply online:  or in person and any of our four offices.


600 A Street, Davis, CA 95616

West Sacramento:

 500-A Jefferson Blvd. Ste A

West Sacramento, CA 95605


111 East Grant Ave. Winters, CA 95694


25 N. Cottonwood St. Woodland, CA 95695


What to bring when applying for cash assistance?

On the day you apply for CalWORKs assistance, you will be asked to complete some forms and to listen to an explanation of your rights and responsibilities. You will be given an appointment to return and complete the application process. To expedite the process, you are advised to bring the following items with you if applicable:

  • Identification (Driver’s License or California Identification Card)

  • Social Security Card or verification that they have applied for all family members

  • Verification of rent and utilities

  • Statements of Bank Accounts and any other resources

  • Proof from US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly INS) of permanent resident alien status.

  • Immunization

  • Verification of income, wages and Social Security Benefits

  • A copy of vehicle registration



No results found.