Out of Hospital Birth Certificates

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

You can register a child that was born outside of a licensed hospital birthing facility within one year of its birth at your local County Vital Records office. To register a child that was born in Yolo County, but outside of a licensed birthing facility, you need to contact our Vital Records Office at (530) 666-8680. We will inform you of the required documentation needed to register an out of hospital birth, send you a packet with a worksheet to fill out, and bring with you to your appointment, and set up an appointment for registration of the child's birth.

For physician or licensed midwife attended deliveries, the requirements are slightly different. Please inform us at the time you make the appointment if the birth was attended by a physician or licensed midwife. The physician or licensed midwife must appear to sign and complete registration of the birth.

Currently we register out of hospital births by appointment. Please call (530) 666-8130 to make an appointment. We need for you to be present with the child and have the required documentation at the time of registration. Documentation you need will include, but may not be limited to:

  • Proof of Identity with photo (California drivers license or California ID Card)
  • Proof of Pregnancy (certification from a doctor or licensed nurse-midwife)
  • Proof of Birthplace (utility bill showing name of parent, with home address for the month of birth)
  • Attendant (witness to the birth, government issued photo identification required)
  • Baby (must be present with the mother when registration occurs)
  • Other Documentation may be Required

After one calendar year the birth must be registered with the California Office of Vital Records, or through the courts.