Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
"Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is the sudden death of an infant under age 1 that cannot be explained after a thorough investigation has been conducted, including a complete autopsy, an examination of the death scene, and a review of the clinical history." - National SUID/SIDS Resource Center
Information for Expecting Families
For Professionals and Healthcare Providers
The Yolo County SIDS program provides telephonic support and home visitation services to families who have experienced a sudden and unexpected loss of an infant. Providers and other agencies working with the family may also receive support and education on Sudden Unexpected Infant Deaths and SIDS by the County's SIDS nurse. Referrals can be faxed to (530) 666-7447 or emailed to Anna Sutton.
- California SIDS Program
- Health Education Specialist Corner
- Investigation Reporting Form
- Safe to Sleep Campaign
- Yolo County Fetal Infant Mortality Review Program
Please see the following resources for parents and families.
- A Heart To Hold: This non-profit provides weighted hearts for families who have experienced pregnancy or infant loss.
- First Candle: Provides compassionate grief support to all those affected by the death of a baby through a dedicated crisis hotline at 800.221.7437 and online resources.
- Wave of Light: On October 15th, survivors come together to be surrounded by love and support from their friends and families. It is a day where the community can learn to better understand the pain and learn how to reach out to those grieving and it is a day to reflect on loss yet embrace love.
- October Memorial: Sharing Parents holds an annual remembrance ceremony every October, which is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. Following the ceremony, there is a butterfly release to honor their baby(ies).
Local support groups
- Compassionate Friends
- Grief Help Sacramento
- SIDS Support of Sacramento
- Sharing Parents
- Yolo Hospice Grief and Loss Support Groups
Director of Public Health Nursing
Fax: (530) 666-7447