This page is dedicated to the water quality information for North Davis Meadows. Currently, water service is provided by two wells, maintained and operated by the City of Davis. Here you will find updates related to the Water System Consolidation Project as well as water quality analysis results, Annual Consumer Confidence Reports, public notifications for water quality violations and compliance orders, all of which can be found at the bottom of the page.
Water System Connection Project
Timeline (Updated 11/21/18 - note: project stalled due to litigation)
Resolution placing CSA water fees dedicated to Water Connection Project into impound until resolution of litigation (04/23/19 Board of Supervisors Meeting)
Information Presented or Requested During February 19, 2019 CSA Advisory Committee Meeting
- Meeting Handouts (Plan to Address Operating Deficit with Connection to City of Davis Water System; CSA Operational & Water Project Revenues & Expenses; CSA Operating Deficit, Water Connection Project & Impact of Litigation; Deep Wells)
- Wolstoncroft v. Yolo 10-04-18
- Wolstoncroft v. Yolo Answer 11-19-18
- February 21, 2019 Operating Deficit, Water Connection Project & Impact of Litigation - letter sent to community
- January 11, 2019 Water Connection Project Update - letter sent to community
- November 26, 2018 Water Connection Project Update - letter sent to community
- October 9, 2018 Water Connection Project Update - letter sent to community
Final Water System Consolidation Project Plans, Specifications & Estimates
- NDM Water Project Plans 12-06-18
- NDM Water Project Technical Specifications 12-06-18
- NDM Water Project Cost Estimate 12-06-18
September 25, 2018 Board of Supervisors meeting: Select subject of Agenda Item No. 28 to review staff report and attachments; select green video icon for presentation, public comment and Board deliberation.
Information Presented or Requested Following July 31, 2018 CSA Advisory Committee & Community Meeting
- City of Davis and UC Davis wells near NDM
- There is not a current report available summarizing the status of the wells. The City of Davis is willing to compile a report summarizing a description and status of their wells, however the CSA would be charged for the staff time. The CSA Advisory Committee may submit a request to do so if this is of interest.
- Below are the water quality reports the City of Davis and UC Davis submit to the State for compliance reporting purposes of those closest to NDM:
- Historical data for Wells 30 and 31 (closest deep wells to NDM). 30 was off line for a number of years due to high manganese levels but is back in service now (levels dropped back below MCL of 50).
- UC Davis Well 7A. Drilled in 1995, ~850 feet deep with several screen intervals between 740 and 842 feet. Location map here. Water quality results here.
- Irrigation Well Permit Process
- Letter from Supervisor Saylor summarizing the meeting (08/03/18)
- Report on Current Water Project and Two Alternatives (Corrected 08/09/18) and related presentation
- Water Project Costs as of 07-06-18
Information Presented or Requested Following May 3, 2018 Community Conversation
- NDM 2 Well Video Report Following May 22, 2018 Failure
- Presentation from May 3, 2018 Community Conversation (05/04/18)
- Notes summarizing May 3 conversation (05/18/18)
- Wood Rodgers Groundwater and Well Assessments (03/02/10)
- Wood Rodgers System Improvement Recommendations (12/16/10)
- Wood Rodgers Well Replacement Technical Memorandum/Engineers Report (03/05/12)
- City Memo re North Davis Meadows Wells (05/26/15)
- Dual Use Project 90% Design Documents (note: project paused due to City of Davis recommendation to consider all water uses being supplied by the City of Davis):
- Water System Consolidation Project 100% Design Documents (note: ultimate project chosen to connect with the City of Davis for all water uses following North Davis Meadows community survey):
March 20, 2018 Proposition 218 Proceedings
- March 20, 2018 Proposition 218 Hearing Outcome Letter from Supervisor Saylor
- March 20, 2018 Proposition 218 Hearing Presentation
- Notice to Property Owners of Proposed Water Rate Increase and Public Hearing (01/26/18)
- Engineer's Report - Loan Repayment Fee Evaluation for Water System Consolidation Project (January 2018)
Information Requested during February 1 Community Meeting (posted 02/05/18; updated 02/07/18)
- Fire Hydrant Testing Results (explanation of fire flow calculations)
- Pipe Alignment Map (note: 20-25% of existing pipe will be replaced/upsized)
- Community Water Usage
Water Connection Project Background
For several years, we have been working on a way to address significant water quality issues in North Davis Meadows (NDM). In June of 2015, a survey of residents showed strong support for a water system consolidation project with the City of Davis which would connect indoor uses to the City’s system, while maintaining irrigation and fire flow uses on the community’s well system. Proposition 218 proceedings were conducted in May of 2016 and rates ultimately raised to pay for design of the project. The engineering work commenced in December of 2016.
As with many projects of this nature, circumstances changed since the design was initiated and new information compelled us to re-evaluate the path we were on and consider alternatives. Most notably, the City of Davis Fire Chief had a strong recommendation that water for fire protection come from the City of Davis water system. In addition we had new information related to costs to maintain/upgrade the wells. Finally, the City of Davis water usage rate structure had been revised to reduce rates below those considered in the past.
Water use in NDM consists of indoor use, landscape irrigation and fire protection. The three paths (scenarios) considered were: 1) staying the course; 2) connecting all three water uses to the City; or 3) connecting indoor and fire protection uses to the City system. The pros and cons, rough estimates of costs and benefits to all three scenarios can be found here: Water Project Options (updated 09/25/17) along with related Frequently Asked Questions (02/27/18).
In late September-early October 2017, the community was surveyed on their new desired path. The survey was completed by a majority of households in the community with the majority of respondents favoring Scenario 2 – connecting to the City of Davis for all water uses. Results of that survey can be found here: Water Project Survey Results 10-11-17.
The additional engineering that was required to connect to the City of Davis for all water uses is now complete and best estimates on all costs of the project have been considered in determining increases to your water fee in order to repay a State Revolving Fund loan (see above). Note: the total proposed water fee is expected to decrease once the consolidation project is complete and the CSA wells are decommissioned.
- Agreement with West Yost to Design Water Connection Project (09/27/16)
- West Yost Contract Amendment #1 (03/21/17)
- West Yost Contract Amendment #2 (10/12/17)
- West Yost Contract Amendment #3 (03/20/18)
- Agreement with Ponticello Enterprises for Project Management (01/27/17, original scope funded by County)
- Ponticello Contract Amendment #1 (08/24/17)
- Ponticello Contract Amendment #2 (10/30/17)
- Ponticello Contract Amendment #3 (04/17/18)
- City of Davis Will Serve Letter (11/08/17)
- Potable Water Connection Project Initial Study/Negative Declaration (11/23/15)
- Addendum to Initial Study/Negative Declaration (03/20/18)
- Water Project Update Jun 2017
- Water Project Update Apr 2017
- Water Project Update Feb-Mar 2017
- Water Project Update Dec 2016
- Water Project Update Nov 2016
- Water Project Update Oct 2016
- Water Project Update Aug 2016
- Water Project Update Jun 2016
- Water Project Update Mar 2016
Water Quality Data
Water Quality Data related to Nitrate, Iron, Aluminum (Updated 03/29/19)
Public Notifications Concerning Water Quality