About Flood Safe 2.0
As a result of recent flooding events in 2017 and 2019, Yolo County identified a need for a more comprehensive approach to flood prevention. With funding, the County revived the Flood Safe Yolo program from 2007 as a new program - Flood Safe Yolo 2.0. The new program is designed to minimize the risk from flooding in Yolo County through strengthened drainage system maintenance, construction of system wide drainage improvements, additional mapping and studies, and support for flood-friendly farming practices.
- Flood Emergency Preparedness
- Flood Hazard Mitigation Projects Planning and Development
- Projects Implementation and Maintenance
- Watershed Assessment and Monitoring
- Program Administration and Funding
- Outreach to Yolo County/Stakeholders/Public/Agency/Elected Officials
The flood Safe Yolo 2.0 program will minimize the risk from flooding in rural areas of Western Yolo County to the maximum extent possible. FSY 2.0 will focus upon areas that are not currently addressed by existing flood control programs managed by other entities.
- Reduce flood risk to the people of Yolo County and the region, their homes and property, state and local infrastructure, and the public trust resources
- Develop a sustainable management system
- Reduce the adverse consequences of floods
- Educate the public on steps to protect property and reduce flood risk
- Use existing flood-fighting methods during the rainy season
- Clean debris as it is brought down channels during storms
- Conduct public outreach to help private landowners maintain water channels on their property and lower their flood risk
- Ease permitting process for vegetation and sediment removal in water channels
- Continue to maintain and manage water channels
- Map out the drainage system across the county to help identify ownership and how to make the system work most effectively.
- Develop and implement system-wide drainage solutions including detention basins, flood easements, culvert enhancement, etc.
- Identify and practice flood-friendly farming
Rolling Acres Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)
Yolo County and partner agencies are undertaking numerous projects to help reduce flood risk across the county. These projects include topographic mapping, vegetation maintenance, channel improvements, hydrologic studies, various construction initiatives to help improve drainage, and more.