General Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Persons under 18 years of age, emancipated minors included, cannot be licensed to marry in California without a Superior Court order.

If you are recently divorced and it has been 6 months or less, you are required by our office to present a certified copy of the divorce decree for verification that the marriage has been legally dissolved.

The marriage license will be void if there are any alterations, erasures, strikeovers, or correction fluids on the document.

No particular form for the ceremony of marriage is required, except that the parties shall declare, in the presence of the person solemnizing the marriage and necessary witnesses, that they take each other as lawful spouses.

There are no state residency or blood test requirements.

Civil wedding ceremonies are performed in our office by appointment only. Since our wedding schedule fills up fast, you should make your appointment as soon as possible. You will need to bring at least one witness.

A regular marriage license is a public record and available for anyone’s inspection. The licenses may be published, and certified copies are available for a fee.

The County Clerk may conduct a search for a confidential marriage certificate for the purpose of confirming the existence of a marriage, but the date of the marriage and any other information contained in the certificate shall not be disclosed except upon order of the court.

Marriage Steps

Steps 1 through 3 below must be completed in the proper order for a valid marriage.

1. Obtain A Marriage License:
For regular and confidential marriage licenses, both parties must appear together, show authentic photo identification, give information, and take an oath at the County Clerk/Recorder office. A regular marriage license may be used in any county in California. A confidential marriage license may only be used in the county of issue.

2. Solemnize The Marriage (The Ceremony):
The license must then be used within 90 days of issuance. One witness is required on the regular license. The person solemnizing the marriage will endorse the license as required.

3. Authenticate The Marriage:
No later than 10 days after the ceremony, The person solemnizing the marriage shall return the marriage license (endorsed as required)to the county recorder of the county where the license was issued, not later than 10 days after the ceremony, for registration.

4. Optional:
If a party wishes to change their name with social security, they will need to complete an application. Applications can be obtained or the address below. The application must be submitted with a certified copy of the marriage certificate by mail or in person to:

825 Riverside Parkway, Suite 1000
West Sacramento, CA 95605