Solid Waste Disposal Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Quick Links

Back to Environmental Health


Program Information:

Solid Waste can contaminate air, land, and water when improperly disposed of and create nuisance conditions when allowed to accumulate at unauthorized locations. Solid waste disposal, transfer, and processing sites and operations are required to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and are often required to obtain a permit to operate. Facilities and operations are inspected for compliance with the regulations and permit conditions, and reported nuisances are investigated and abated when confirmed.


How Do I Obtain A Solid Waste Facility Permit?

Permits or authorizations are required for most facilities that dispose, store, treat, process, handle, or transporters of solid waste. These include landfills, transfer stations, material recovery facilities, composting operations, non-hazardous petroleum contaminated soil operations, non-hazardous ash operations, and inert disposal facilities.

For permit application information and requirements telephone the Solid Waste Program Staff at (530) 666-8646, E-mail us at: or drop by our office at 292 W Beamer Street, Woodland California. We have posted our fees on the internet for your convenience.



Where Can I Legally Dispose Of Solid Waste In Yolo County?

Solid Waste Program


  • Yolo County Central Landfill - This site is located on County Road 28H approximately 4 miles northeast of Davis. Call (530) 666-8729 for more information.
  • University of California, Davis – This facility is located on Pedrick Road (County Road 98) on the UC Davis campus. Note: This facility is not open to the general public.

Transfer Stations

  • Esparto Convenience Center – This site is located on County Road 19A at County Road 87 approximately 2 miles north of Esparto. Call (530) 666-8729 for more information.


Nuisance Abatement Program

Nuisance abatement is an integral element of the Solid Waste enforcement program. Typical nuisances include:
    • Accumulation of litter (garbage, refuse, rubbish)
    • Accumulation of animal droppings
    • Abandoned vehicles
    • Accumulation of commercial and industrial waste
    • Accumulation of fill
    • Illegal disposal of solid waste

Upon receipt of a complaint that a nuisance may exist, an evaluation of the complaint is made and one of three actions is taken based on the nature and severity of the complaint:

  1. Telephone contact directing abatement of nuisance.
  2. An Environmental Report Form is issued. This is a written request for abatement of the nuisance.
  3. Site inspection and initiation of appropriate action, if necessary, to abate the nuisance.



How To Report A Nuisance

Nuisances can also be reported to the following code enforcement departments in the incorporated cities:

Include the following information when reporting a nuisance:

  1. Description of the conditions or actions creating the nuisance
  2. Location of complaint (exact street address if possible or an exact description of location)
  3. Name of property owner and phone number if possible
  4. Mailing address of property owner if different than incident location
  5. Your name, address, and telephone number (you may remain anonymous) - this allows our staff to contact you if we need more information and to let you know our progress on abatement of the nuisance.
  6. Whether you have spoken to the property owner or occupant, to try to resolve the condition and what occurred.

Any additional information that will help our staff investigate and abate the condition. 



 Links To Related Websites