Monitoring Wells and Soil Borings

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Quick links

Back to Environmental Health


Contact Us

 Yolo County
Environmental Health

292 West Beamer Street
Woodland, CA 95695

Phone: (530) 666-8646
Fax: (530) 669-1448
Email us

Program Information

Wells or soil borings are often constructed to investigate subsurface conditions of a property where there may have been contamination by hazardous materials or hazardous waste. In addition wells and soil borings may be constructed to monitor water levels or to provide geotechnical data.

Each well or soil boring constructed creates a route for current or future contamination to travel from the ground surface to lower levels or between soil horizons and/or groundwater aquifers.

The goal of this program is to insure wells and borings are properly constructed to protect groundwater or soil horizons from being contaminated by other layers or future spills at the ground surface. To accomplish this, a permit and inspection is required for installation, abandonment, or modification of all wells and borings that will be drilled to groundwater, or to a depth of 20 feet or greater where groundwater is more than 20 feet below the ground surface.

Monitoring Well/Soil Borings FAQ’s

When is a permit required?

All wells must be permitted: monitoring wells, vapor wells, extraction wells, sparging wells, bioventing wells, cathodic wells, etc.

Soil borings must be permitted if 20 feet or greater in depth or anytime that groundwater is encountered.

IMPORTANT! For projects on multiple parcels a separate permit application is required for each parcel. Distinct projects on multiple parcels may pay fees as if the project was only on one parcel.

When do I have to tremie?

Tremie is required anytime that groundwater is encountered or exceeding 20 feet for a dry boring.

What is the permitting process and how long does it take for my permit to be approved?

A Monitoring Well/Soil Boring application must be filled out completely with the correct fee paid. The turnaround time is generally two weeks. Permits are valid for one year from the date of approval.

What is required with the application?

For wells: a well construction diagram and map(s) showing where the wells will be located on site and the location of the site, workplan or a copy of the letter from a regulatory agency approving or directing work. A workplan approved by the State Water Resources Control Board is required if the property is documented as being a contaminated site.

For soil borings: map(s) showing where the borings will be located on site and the location of the site, workplan or regulatory agency letter when needed. A workplan approved by the State Water Resources Control Board is required if the property is documented as being a contaminated site.

What are the application fees?

Our fee schedule can be found at the following link: Environmental Health Fees. For projects that involve 4 or more soil borings the initial fee is for the first 4 borings. Additional time will be billed on an hourly basis. This only applies to work with exploratory soil borings, not with wells.

Who and when do I call for a grout inspection?

Two (2) working days notification is required for all grout inspections. The inspector to contact would be the staff member who approved the permit.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer