Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
January Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Begin the New Year right with the following programs held during the month of January at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• December 24 – January 4: Winter Stay & Play! During the school holiday break we will have games, puzzles, and toys available in the Children’s Room. Children and families are encouraged to come to the library to stay and play.
• January 5: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• January 5: Block Party!, 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of play with Lego blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• January 10: Teen Library Advisory Board (TLAB) 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, recommendations for the collection, and more. We are looking for enthusiastic book lovers who want to spread their passion. For ages 13-18 and no experience is necessary. Small Conference Room.
• January 10: Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. This group meets monthly to discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• January 16: Chinese Film Series: Together, 6:00 p.m. Seventeen should be a carefree age, but Yang sees his friends and family trapped in the mire of love. Should he stand aside and watch or risk himself to help. Films are screened in Chinese with English subtitles.
• January 18: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. We will watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• January 20: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• January 22: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. January’s project is Loteria.
• January 23: Financial Literacy Series: Organizing Financial Records, 6:00 p.m. Learn why some record keeping systems fail, how to develop an efficient bill paying system, what records to keep and for how long, how to take a home inventory, what to have handy in case of a natural disaster, and where to go for help. Presented by Travis Credit Union. Blanchard Room.
• January 24: Tuleyome Lecture Series: Cache Creek and the Cache Creek Conservancy, 6:00 p.m. Join guest speaker Nancy Ullrey to learn more about the Cache Creek Conservancy.
• January 24: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Drowned City by Don Brown.
• January 26: Lunar New Year Celebration!, 1:00 p.m. Sweep away any ill-fortune from the past year and make way for incoming good luck. Join us for dancing, crafts, and music. Check out our book display and bibliography.
• January 27: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• January 27: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
The following ongoing programs continue in January:
• Computer Help: Mondays at 1:00 p.m., 3:45 p.m., and 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 3:45 p.m., Wednesdays at 2:45 p.m., Thursdays at 3:45 p.m., Fridays at 3:45 p.m., Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., and Sundays at 3:00 p.m.
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact email@example.com or (530) 750-9139.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• 3D Printing: Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• Homework Help Center: Volunteers from the UC Davis Pediatric Education, Advocacy, & Development Society (PEADS) will provide tutoring for children in preschool through 6th grade on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. Note: No meeting until January 10.
• Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
• Discover India: Fourth Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m.
• Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
The following programs will be held during the month of January at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• January 12: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• January 19: Dino Scenes, 11:00 a.m. Build your own prehistoric landscapes using craft supplies and mini dinosaurs.
• January 29: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. Learn a new craft or share your own expertise. Guest Makers will lead participants in a new project each session. This program meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month, with the exception of January. January’s craft project is decoupage.
NOTICES: Yolo County Library branches will be closed on January 1 for New Year’s Day and on January 21 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. On January 28 all branches will be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
End of Overdue Fines for Youth: We are celebrating the New Year with the elimination of overdue fines for youth! Effective January 1 the Yolo County Library will eliminate overdue fines on materials borrowed by youth under 18-years old and, on a one-time basis, waive all outstanding fines and fees on youth accounts on January 1.
Yolo Reads: This Yolo County Library program provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free instruction to English speaking adult learners. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections.
For those interested in tutoring, no experience is necessary, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, January 29 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.