Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
December Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) –Share the joy of the season with friends and family with the following special programs at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
• December is Kindness Month. Yolo County Library and Resilient Yolo invite you to “be the one” for someone this December. A person's life can change for the better with one positive connection with another person. Join us by extending an act of kindness to someone every day this month. Check out our kindness calendar, display, and bibliography for inspiration.
• December 2: Sunday Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a PG-13 or rated R movie shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! For ages 18+ only. Brought to you through the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• December 5 & 19: Teen Club, 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided. Teen Room.
• December 7: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XXXV, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXXV, we will continue to learn the twelve Yijin Jing qigong exercises. Two new movements will be taught in each session. These movements are recognized as a set of exercises for healing and well-being in Chinese medicine. Therapeutic and strengthening benefits are gained with the progression through the exercises. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• December 8: Time of Remembrance – Japanese American Travelling Trunk, 3:00 p.m. The Japanese American Travelling Trunk brings a pivotal chapter of California history to life at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library. Through interactive materials and hands on activities, patrons are invited to explore living conditions in an American WWII incarceration camp. Contents also involve issues of citizenship, constitutionality and redress. Join us for a 60-minute presentation by a formerly-interned California Museum docent. The Travelling Trunk will be on display at the library through December 10.
• December 9: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• December 10: Love on a Leash, 3:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• December 13 & 27: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new. All are welcome.
• December 15: Yolo Shorts Film Festival, 1:00 p.m. Come see the completed short films created in the GoPro Movie Workshop for the Yolo Shorts Festival. Three-minute shorts will be shared in three categories: Animation (stop-motion), Adventure (living local, sports, action), or Art/Drama (music, book/movie re-enactments).
• December 19: Computer 101 Class, 9:00 a.m. Adults are invited to register for a free basic computer class. It offers participants a basic introduction to computers including the different kinds of personal computers available, an overview of computer terms, and some practice with the internet. Computers will be provided. Registration is required as space is limited.
• December 19: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• December 19: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• December 20: Aguas Frescas, 5:30 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker project. This month’s project is button making. Materials provided.
• December 22: Teddy Bear Tea Party and Sleepover, 2:00 p.m. Children and families are invited to bring their teddy (or other stuffed animal) for stories, rhymes, and a fancy tea party. Your stuffed animals get to sleep overnight at the library!
• December 24: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8 to receive homework help. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Please call the Innovation Coordinator at (916) 375-6468.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ages 0-5.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
• Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading and build confidence with an older “buddy.” Each child will be paired up with a high school student from the River City High School Interact Club for a 30-minute reading session. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
• West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting: No meeting in December. Next meeting January 2.
NOTICES: On December 24 all library branches normally open on Mondays will be closed at 6:00 p.m. On December 25 all Yolo County Library branches will be closed for Christmas Day and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The first opportunity is through the Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program that allows library card holders to clear $1 from their Yolo County Library overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. Library card holders are welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The second opportunity is through the Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program that allows customers to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Customers are welcome to donate money and write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk.
Yolo Reads: This Yolo County Library program provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free instruction to English speaking adult learners. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections.
For those interested in tutoring, no experience is necessary, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, January 29 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at email@example.com.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.