Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
December Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) –We invite you to celebrate the season with us with the following programs held during the month of December at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• December is Kindness Month. Yolo County Library and Resilient Yolo invite you to “be the one” for someone this December. A person's life can change for the better with one positive connection with another person. Join us by extending an act of kindness to someone every day this month. Check out our kindness calendar, display and bibliography for inspiration.
• December 1: Yolo Shorts GoPro Workshop, 10:00 a.m. Join us for the final workshop where we’ll show you how to use a GoPro camera and teach you how to edit and produce your own GoPro movie. All ages welcome.
• December 1: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• December 2: Letting Go of Obstacles to Joy, 2:00 p.m. Rebecca Pope (PhD, MMQ), a certified master of medical qigong, will focus on qigong practices used in China to cultivate emotional tranquility and contentment by clearing emotions like anger, anxiety, and fear.
• December 4: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. December’s project is winter paper crafts.
• December 7, 8 & 9: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• December 8: Super Block Party!, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a special day of play with Lego blocks. We will have extra materials available and all of the creations made at the program will be on display in the Children’s Room through the end of the year. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• December 10: Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7:00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• December 13: Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. This group meets monthly to discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• December 13: Teen Library Advisory Board (TLAB) 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, recommendations for the collection, and more. We are looking for enthusiastic book lovers who want to spread their passion. For ages 13-18 and no experience is necessary. Small Conference Room.
• December 13: Yolo Shorts Film Festival, 6:00 p.m. Come and attend the first annual Yolo Shorts Festival and watch locally made GoPro movies! Enjoy three-minute shorts in three categories: Animation (stop-motion), Adventure (living local, sports, action), or Art/Drama (music, book/movie re-enactments).
• December 19: Chinese Film Series: Monkey King 2, 6:00 p.m. The Monkey King must protect a traveling monk from White Bone Spirit, a demon who seeks immortality. Films are screened in Chinese with English subtitles.
• December 21: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. We will watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• December 29: Maker Kids, 2:30 p.m. Join us for a special STEM activity with VN Cares. Learn how to avoid getting sick during the winter season. Special presentation and soap carving activity. For ages 8-12.
• December 29: After Hours Movie Night, 5:30 p.m. Come and enjoy a free weekend movie at the library. Free popcorn and pizza while supplies last. Must be 13 or over to watch movie. Please call (530) 757-5596 for movie title.
• December 30: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
• Computer Help: Sundays at 3:00 p.m., Mondays at 1:00 p.m. and 3:45 p.m., Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. and 3:45 p.m., Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. and 2:45 p.m., Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. and 3:45 p.m., Fridays at 3:45 p.m., and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 750-9139.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• 3D Printing: Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• Homework Help Center: Volunteers from the UC Davis Pediatric Education, Advocacy, & Development Society (PEADS) will provide tutoring for children in preschool through 6th grade on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
• Davis Youth Robotics: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Note: No meeting in December.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Library Quest Trivia Challenge: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. in the Children’s Room. Weekly challenges will be posted every Monday. All ages welcome to participate
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
• Discover India: No meeting in December.
• Tuleyome Lecture Series: No meeting in December. Will resume alternate months in 2019 beginning January 24.
• Year Round Kitchen Gardening: No meeting in December.
• Yolo County Master Gardeners: No meeting in December.
The following programs will be held during the month of December at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• December 8: Pokémon Party, 11:00 a.m. Gotta catch 'em all! Explore the world of Pokémon through games, crafts, activities, and prizes! We'll have space for battling friends and foes through the Pokémon card game.
• December 15: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• NEW! December 11: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. Learn a new craft or share your own expertise. Guest Makers will lead participants in a new project each session. This program meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month, with the exception of December. December’s craft project is 3D Printing. Join us for hands-on learning with design using a 3D printer.
NOTICES: On December 24 all library branches normally open on Mondays will be closed at 6:00 p.m. On December 25 all Yolo County Library branches will be closed for Christmas Day and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The first opportunity is through the Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program that allows library card holders to clear $1 from their Yolo County Library overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. Library card holders are welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The second opportunity is through the Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program that allows customers to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Customers are welcome to donate money and write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk.
Yolo Reads: This Yolo County Library program provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free instruction to English speaking adult learners. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections.
For those interested in tutoring, no experience is necessary, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, January 29 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at email@example.com.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.