Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
December Programs at the Esparto Regional Library
(Woodland, CA) – Celebrate the season with the following programs held during the month of December at Yolo County’s Esparto Regional Library, located at 17065 Yolo Avenue in Esparto:
• December is Kindness Month. Yolo County Library and Resilient Yolo invite you to “be the one” for someone this December. A person's life can change for the better with one positive connection with another person. Join us by extending an act of kindness to someone every day this month. Check out our kindness calendar, display and bibliography for inspiration.
• December 4: Kirk Waller Storyteller, 3:30 p.m. Kirk Waller has been mesmerizing audiences of all ages for over twenty years. He masterfully combines spoken word, rhythm, music, and movement to bring stories to life. Great family program.
• December 6: Evening Family Movie, 6:00 p.m. Join R.I.S.E. After School Program and the Esparto Regional Library for a family friendly (rated G or PG) movie. For movie title call the library at (530) 787-3426.
• December 8: Wreath Workshop, 10:15 a.m. Participants are invited to make their own holiday wreaths. Wire and branches will be provided. If possible, please bring some ornamentation or pine cones to add to your arrangement. Presented by the University of California Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners of Yolo County.
• December 11: Free Computer Class, 10:30 a.m. Basic computer class covering simple tech support, beginner terminology, library computer resources and a Q & A session. Registration is required and will be limited to the first ten signups. To register, call (530) 787-3426 or sign up at the library service desk. This class will be offered on the second Tuesday of each month.
• December 13: Senior Adult Art Class with Julie, 9:30 a.m. Enjoy a hands-on class featuring decorative ornaments using acrylic paint. This class will be held at the Senior Citizen Program at the R.I.S.E., Inc. building at 17317 Fremont St., Esparto, CA 95627.
• December 13: Children’s Art Class with Julie, 3:30 p.m. Enjoy a hands-on class featuring decorating ornaments. All ages are welcome.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
• English Conversation Group, Tuesdays at 1:15 p.m. Converse and improve your English in a fun and relaxed setting with the aid of a group facilitator. Drop-in visitors are always welcome.
• R.I.S.E. Student Success Program, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. Elementary school students have the opportunity to get homework support from high school students and participate in games and activities. Call the library (530) 787-3426 with any questions.
• Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time (Ages 0-5), Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. Children (ages 0-5) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for stories, songs, movement, rhymes and finger-plays. All bilingual story times are provided through a grant from First 5 Yolo.
NOTICES: On December 24 all library branches normally open on Mondays will be closed at 6:00 p.m. On December 25 all Yolo County Library branches will be closed for Christmas Day and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The first opportunity is through the Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program that allows library card holders to clear $1 from their Yolo County Library overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. Library card holders are welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The second opportunity is through the Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program that allows customers to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Customers are welcome to donate money and write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk.
Yolo Reads: This Yolo County Library program provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free instruction to English speaking adult learners. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections.
For those interested in tutoring, no experience is necessary, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, January 29 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Esparto Regional Library, are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. For more information about events at the Esparto Regional Library, contact library staff at (530) 787-3426 or visit the Yolo County Library at www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Esparto Regional Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.