Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
Programs at the Winters Community Library in December
(Woodland, CA) – Bring family and friends to the following winter programs held during the month of December at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters:
• December is Kindness Month. Yolo County Library and Resilient Yolo invite you to “be the one” for someone this December. A person's life can change for the better with one positive connection with another person. Join us by extending an act of kindness to someone every day this month. Check out our kindness calendar, display and bibliography for inspiration.
• December 14: Yolo Shorts Film Festival, 3:00 p.m. Come see the completed short films created in the Yolo Shorts Workshops for the Yolo Shorts Festival. Shorts will be shared in three categories: Animation (stop-motion), Adventure (living local, sports, action), or Art/Drama (music, book/movie re-enactments). All entries must be submitted by Dec 7.
• December 19: Gingerbread House Extravaganza, 3:00 p.m. Visit the library to build and decorate your very own gingerbread house. All ages welcome. Supplies will be provided.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
• NEW! Winters Casual Cribbage Club: 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Margaret Parson’s Room or the Quiet Reading Corner.
• SUCCESS: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
• Needle Arts: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4:00 p.m.
• Libros y Chisme: 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
• Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
• Cursos de Ingles: Jueves a las 6:00 p.m.
• Literary Trails: Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m.
• Hora de Cuentas/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Aguas Frescas: Last Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
• Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
• Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
• Tales for Tails: Children ages 4-12 are invited to read to a therapy dog. Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.
NOTICES: On December 24 all library branches normally open on Mondays will be closed at 6:00 p.m. On December 25 all Yolo County Library branches will be closed for Christmas Day and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
The Winters Community Library will revert to the School Break schedule from December 21 through January 4 with the following hours:
• Monday and Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Tuesday and Thursday 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Friday and Saturday: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Sunday closed.
Extended hours resume Monday, January 7, 2018.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The first opportunity is through the Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program that allows library card holders to clear $1 from their Yolo County Library overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. Library card holders are welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The second opportunity is through the Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program that allows customers to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Customers are welcome to donate money and write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk.
Yolo Reads: This Yolo County Library program provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free instruction to English speaking adult learners. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections.
For those interested in tutoring, no experience is necessary, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, January 29 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at email@example.com.
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at (530) 795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.