Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
October Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Treat the family to the following fall programs during the month of October at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• September 15 to October 15: Latinx Heritage Month. Learn about the histories, cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America with our bibliography and display.
• October 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31: Korean Language and Culture Class, 4:00 p.m. This group is for adults who wish to gain a basic knowledge of Korean language and culture.
• October 3: Author Series: Janelle Hanchett, 7:00 p.m. Meet the author of I’m Just Happy to Be Here: A Memoir of Renegade Mothering, a forthright, wickedly funny, and ultimately empowering story chronicling Hanchett’s tumultuous journey from young motherhood to abysmal addiction and a recovery she never imagined possible.
• October 6: Block Party, 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• October 7-13: Teen Read Week. Check the library for activities and displays related to this year’s theme, “It’s Written in the Stars…READ.”
• October 8: Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7:00 p.m. This group helps support prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• October 10: Psychology of Spending, 6:00 p.m. There are several psychological forces that govern our consumer behavior and cause us to make decisions that are not necessarily rational or in our best interest. However, understanding why we buy what we buy can help us make better decisions in the future. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• October 11: Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. This group meets monthly to discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• October 11: Teen Advisory Group 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, recommendations for the collection, and more. We are looking for enthusiastic book lovers who want to spread their passion. For ages 13-18 and no experience is necessary. Small Conference Room.
• October 12: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. We will watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• October 13: Voice of the Wood: Halloween, 4:00 p.m. Listen to stories come alive with sound effects, dramatic narration and masked movement.
• October 16: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. October’s project is rock painting.
• October 17: Chinese Film Series: Go Lala Go!, 7:00 p.m. A Chinese romantic comedy film about a woman who learns how to balance a relationship and her professional life in the work place. Films are screened in Chinese with English subtitles.
• October 20: Building Community Ferment, 11:00 a.m. Bring your microbes and join a fermented foods workshop.
• October 20: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• October 20: Caturday at the Library, 2:00 p.m. Join us for an afternoon of joyful celebration of the pets in our lives, including kitten and cat adoptions, a showing of the documentary Kedi, a cat-themed family story time, kitty cat crafts for kids and adults (including origami with the Davis Origami Group), and cat and dog mini-lectures by UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine’s Melissa Bain, Emma Grigg, and Mikel Delgado. This event is part of the UC Davis Campus Community Book Project. This year’s title is The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, with Douglas Abrams.
• October 21: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• October 25: Tuleyome Lecture Series: Mycology and Fungal Ecology, 6:00 p.m. Join mycology expert David Rizzo as he talks about his work in the scientific field of fungi and fungal ecology. Learn about how fungi form in their environment and how they interact with it and other organisms, plants, and animals.
• October 25: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.
• October 26: Halloween Fright Night, 5:30 p.m. Do you dare walk through a nightmare? Face your fears through our maze of terror in this interactive frightful event. Content suitable for teens and older. Enter at your own risk.
• October 27: Harry Potter Trivia Event, 2:00 p.m. Can you pass your O.W.L.s? Bring your friends for a fun afternoon of trivia based on the Harry Potter series. Registration required. Call (530) 757-5598.
• October 27: Discover India, 4:00 p.m. Discover the sights and sounds of India with this new monthly program for school-age children.
• October 28 to November 3: Halloween Costume Contest. Join us in celebrating our 7th anniversary on Facebook by participating in this annual event. Post your own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page at www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org or tag it #yolocountylibrary on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. You may also visit a Yolo County Library branch wearing your costume and ask a staff member to take a picture of you. Four winners will be selected to win a prize and recognition at their local library branch. Winners will be selected by November 10. Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners!
• October 28: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• October 28: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
• October 29: Teen Readers Book Club: Horror Stories, 4:00 p.m. Find your reading tribe with this exciting new group. Read any horror novel and share. Discuss favorite past reads, favorite characters, best authors, and more. Discover and swap recommendations (or books) to read for our next afternoon talk. Ages 13-18. Small Conference Room.
The following ongoing programs continue in October:
• Computer Help: Sundays at 1:00 p.m., Mondays at 3:45 p.m., Tuesdays at 3:45 p.m., Wednesdays at 2:45 p.m., Thursdays at 3:45 p.m., Fridays at 3:45 p.m., and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school aged children. Questions? Contact email@example.com or (530) 750-9139.
• 3D Printing: Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• New! Homework Help Center: Volunteers from the UC Davis Pediatric Education, Advocacy, & Development Society (PEADS) will provide tutoring for children in preschool through 6th grade on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2. Now in the Blanchard Room.
• Davis Youth Robotics: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• NEW! Library Quest Trivia Challenge: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. in the Children’s Room. Weekly challenges will be posted every Monday. All ages welcome to participate
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of October at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• October 13: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• October 20: Nail Art and Face Painting, 10:30 a.m. Explore your creative side with fun nail art designs and face painting with Miss Maria!
• NEW! October 30: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. Learn a new craft or share your own expertise. Guest Makers will lead participants in a new project each session. This program meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month, with the exception of December.
NOTICE: On October 15, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an all staff meeting.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.