Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
March Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of March at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• March is Women’s History Month! Join us to honor women who have shaped America’s history and its future through their tireless commitment to ending discrimination against women and girls. Check out our book display and bibliography.
• March 1, 15 & 29: Tech Help 1-On-1, 3:00 p.m. If you have a question about your laptop, tablet or phone, bring it in to get answers. If you have a general technology problem, you can get help using our library laptops or tablets. Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• March 1, Fair Housing Clinic, 4:00 p.m. Join us for a free pop-up housing clinic outside the Community Room. Learn more about fair housing laws as well as the most recent developments in related topics such as: sexual harassment, criminal history protections, racial discrimination, disability, and new state protected categories. Come with questions!
• March 3 through April 14: In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For every 5 books a child reads, he/she will receive a “Cover to Cover” Achievement Award, qualifying the participant for a free hamburger or cheeseburger at any In-N-Out Burger restaurant. Each participant may receive up to 3 certificates.
• March 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturday), 8:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Saturday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• March 3: Teen Anime Afternoon, 3:00 p.m. Teens (ages 12-18) are invited to watch the anime of their choosing at the library. Free popcorn while supplies last.
• March 4, 11, 18 & 25: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:30 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Sunday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• March 5 & 19: Multi-Sensory Story Time, 12:00 p.m. Children (ages 1-5) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for an inclusive story time that will focus on children with special sensory needs. Story time will include adapted books and sensory toys.
• March 5: Sacramento Sunyata Meditation & Qi Gong, 4:30 p.m. All are invited to come and learn about the benefits of meditation and Qi Gong. Learn simple techniques that will enable you to reduce stress and anxiety, decrease blood pressure, improve digestion and increase self-awareness. No prior experience or knowledge needed. Please do not eat within two hours prior to the Qi Gong exercises and wear loose and comfortable clothing.
• March 7: Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA), 3:30 p.m. Come and meet a representative from the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency to learn about adult and dislocated worker training services. WIOA will be at the library once a month.
• March 7 & 21: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided.
• March 8 & 22: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• March 10 & 24: Tech Help 1-On-1, 11:00 a.m. If you have a question about your laptop, tablet or phone, bring it in to get answers. If you have a general technology problem, you can get help using our library laptops or tablets. Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• March 10: St. Patty’s Craft (Family Program), 3:00 p.m. Families are invited to come out and participate in our St. Patty’s Craft. We will be creating 5 different arts and crafts based on a St. Patrick’s Day theme. All materials will be provided.
• March 12: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• March 12: Virtual Reality Game Play: Robo Recall/City Tours, 6:00 p.m. If you are over 18, join us for an exciting interactive virtual reality program. You will have a chance to ward off a robot invasion and learn how to use the Oculus Rift controls and headset while playing Robo Recall. You can also sit back and relax and take city tours of Paris, London, and many more, even Sacramento. It will be like you’re actually there!
• March 17: Family Movie, 3:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at 916-375-6465.
• March 19: S.T.E.A.M.ing Mad: Prisms, 4:00 p.m. How many ways do you know to create a rainbow? Practice with water and sunshine. Great for tweens and teens.
• March 20: Special Story Time with 49er Arik Armstead, 11:00 a.m. Come join us for a special story time with Arik Armstead, the defensive end from the San Francisco 49ers! He is a Sacramento native and has made it his mission to support and impact change for education equality. People are encouraged to stay for the Q&A following story time.
• March 21: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• March 21: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• March 23: UCCE Yolo County Master Gardeners: Composting and Vermiculture, 12:00 p.m. Come and learn all about composting and vermiculture at the library. UCCE Yolo County Master Gardeners will show how easy it is to compost: what to put in it, what to put it in, and how to “care” for it. There is also a working worm farm and tips on how to start and maintain your own. This workshop is FREE. Bring your garden questions to the Q&A to be held after the workshop. For more information, contact UCCE Master Gardeners-Yolo County at (530) 666-8757 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• March 26: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• March 28: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:30 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: email@example.com for more information.
• March 30: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qi Gong Part XXVII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXVII, we shall learn some of the training postures and warm-up exercises that are practiced in Tai Chi along with Tai Chi Chuan. Coordinated breathing and mental concentration help to increase our body strength and the ability to have a better control of balance. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• March 31: Egg Hunt! (Special Program), 1:00 p.m. Families are invited to come out and participate in our special egg hunt where kids will be able to hunt for eggs at the library. Eggs will be provided. Suitable for all ages.
The following ongoing programs continue in March:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading in a thirty-minute session with an older “buddy.” After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book. Registration required.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.