Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
February Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – The following programs will be held during the month of February at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• February is Black History Month! Join us in paying tribute to the generations of African Americans who have enriched America’s history and are instrumental in its future success. Check out our book displays and bibliography.
• February 2, 3 & 4: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• February 3: Early Childhood & Preschool Fair: 9:00 a.m. Parents, caregivers and families are invited to attend this annual fair to learn more about preschool options and other services for families and young children available in Yolo County. This event is held at the Veterans Memorial Center, adjacent to the Library and is co-sponsored by the City of Davis.
• February 3, 10, 17 & 24: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Teen Room), 10:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library (1099-INT, 1095-T). Note: walk-ins will not be accepted after 12:00 p.m. This free service is provided every Saturday (except March 24 & 31) through April 15 by the UC Davis VITA group.
• February 3: Block Party!, 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• February 6: Vibrant Valentines Maker Night, 6:00 p.m. Get ready for Valentine’s Day by making special heart crafts with us.
• February 7: Financial Literacy Series: Organize Your Financial Records, 6:00 p.m. Join us to learn how to keep records, take inventory and develop an efficient bill-paying system, know what documents to have handy in case of natural disaster and where to go for help. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• February 7 & 28: Science Really Says Book Club, 6:30 p.m. Come and discuss This Idea Must Die by John Brockman with friendly neighborhood scientists.
• February 9: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Come to the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch four episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• February 10: Book Cupid, 3:00 p.m. Wanted! Volunteer matchmakers to help set up our “Blind Date with a Book” program. No experience in matchmaking required. Need cupids ages 13-18.
• February 11: Lunar New Year Celebration, 1:00 p.m. Join us in celebration of the year of the Dog beginning February 16, 2018. Families are invited to make crafts and watch Chinese instrument performers. Pick up a lucky red envelope while supplies last!
• February 12: Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7: 00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• February 13: California Telephone Access Program: 10:00 a.m. Learn how to use your iPhone device to its full potential. Registration is required and will be limited to the first 12 signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register. Classes sponsored by the California Telephone Access Program.
• February 14: Chinese Language Film Series, 6:00 p.m. Join us for a screening of My Old Classmate. Lin Yi is living the American dream in New York City when he receives an invitation to his old flame's wedding back in Beijing. Films are screened on the second Wednesday of each month through February 2018.
• February 17: Storytime with Chi: No Ordinary Sue, 11:00 a.m. Listen to a children’s book based on the historical flood in Northern California in 1997.
• February 17: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• February 18: Teen Advisory Group, 1:00 p.m. Join us in the Teen Space and learn how to get involved and make a difference at your library. Every month we meet to discuss teen programs to implement, volunteer opportunities, community projects to organize and much more. No experience necessary. Snacks provided. Ages 13-18.
• February 18: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• February 21: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. February’s project is candle making.
• February 22: California Telephone Access Program: 10:00 a.m. Learn how to use your Android device to its full potential. Registration is required and will be limited to the first six signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register. Classes sponsored by the California Telephone Access Program.
• February 22: Tuleyome Lecture Series, 6:30 p.m. Join us for a presentation on the “Secrets of the Black Walnut Tree” by Daniel Potter from UC Davis. You see them all over the region, but do you really know anything about them? Come learn with us.
• February 22: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.
• February 25: Honoring Black History Month, 2:00 p.m. Listen to Lellingby Boyce give a brief introduction to understanding America’s race relations. She will talk about how local, state and federal governments promoted and sustained segregated neighborhoods.
• February 25: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• February 25: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Due to a scheduling conflict, this event is CANCELLED in February.
The following ongoing programs continue in February:
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Computer Help: Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m., Thursdays at 1:00 p.m. and Sundays at 1:00 p.m.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday at 1:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2.
• PJ Story Time: Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. For children ages 3-5.
• Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Crafternoon Arts Group: Last Thursday of the month at 12:00 p.m. Bring your favorite craft or try one of ours. All ages are welcome.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Maker Kids: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children ages 8-12.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of February at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• February 17: Block Party!, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• February 24: Winter Magic Show, 11:00 a.m. Children and families are invited to a fun and interactive magic show with Magician Mike Della Penna.
NOTICES: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed on February 19 for Presidents’ Day.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.