Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
January Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – The following programs will be held during the month of January at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• January 6: Drag Queen Storytime, 11:15 a.m. Please join us for a special storytime featuring drag queen Mahlae Balenciaga. Mahlae will read a children’s book and sing songs with us. This program is open to all ages.
• January 6: Block Party!, 2:00 p.m. Join us in the Children's Activity Room for two hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• January 6: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• January 10: Chinese Language Film Series, 6:00 p.m. Join us for a screening of “Orz Boys.” This film tells the story of boys who are more than just naughty. They play tricks on classmates, tease girls at school, fight with other boys and lie to everyone until their teacher breaks down. In Chinese with English subtitles. Films are screened on the second Wednesday of each month through February 2018.
• January 10: Teddy Bear Tea Party and Sleepover, 6:30 p.m. Children and families are invited to a fun twist on Pajama Storytime. Bring your teddy (or other stuffed animal) for stories, rhymes and a fancy tea party. Your stuffed animals get to sleep overnight at the library!
• January 10 & 24: Science Really Says Book Club, 6:30 p.m. Come and discuss the book “The War on Science” with friendly neighborhood scientists.
• January 12: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Come to the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch four episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• January 13: Free eDevice Workshop, 12:00 p.m. Yolo County Library has eBooks and audiobooks that you can download for free to smart devices such as iPhones, Androids and eBook readers like Kindle. In this workshop, library staff will show you how to borrow electronic materials from the library and teach which devices are compatible with these resources. Please have your device fully charged and know your sign-in information and passwords. Small Conference Room.
• January 16: Klimt & Rodin: An Artistic Encounter, 6:00 p.m. Come and learn about the upcoming Legion of Honor exhibition.
• January 17: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. January’s project is journal making.
• January 18: California Telephone Access Program: 10:00 a.m. Learn how to use your Android device to its full potential. Registration is required and will be limited to the first six signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register. Classes sponsored by the California Telephone Access Program.
• January 18: Financial Literacy Series: Build a Basic Budget: The Five-Step Spending Plan, 6:00 p.m. Join us and design a financial blueprint for controlling your monthly expenditures. Set realistic goals, identify spending leaks, live within your means, stay motivated, and never lose sight of your ultimate financial goals. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• January 20: Northern California Publishers and Authors, 1:00 p.m. Come out and meet local NorCal authors. Find out how they got started and became published.
• January 21: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• January 24: Pariah Film Screening, 6:00 p.m. Join us for a screening of “Pariah”, a coming of age film about Alike, a 17-year-old teenager who comes to embrace her identity as a lesbian. Discussion to follow.
• January 25: California Telephone Access Program: 10:00 a.m. Learn how to use your iPhone device to its full potential. Registration is required and will be limited to the first six signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register. Classes sponsored by the California Telephone Access Program.
• January 25: Tuleyome Lecture Series, 6:30 p.m. Join us for a presentation on “Grey Wolves in California” by Pamela Flick, the CA Representative of the Defenders of Wildlife.
• January 25: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us for a discussion of “Thinking in Pictures” by Temple Grandin.
• January 28: Teen Advisory Group, 1:00 p.m. Join us in the Teen Space and learn how to get involved and make a difference at your library. Every month we meet to discuss teen programs to implement, volunteer opportunities, community projects to organize, and much more. No experience necessary. Popcorn and pizza provided. Ages 13-18.
• January 28: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5593.
• January 28: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• January 29: Yolo Reads Tutor Orientation, 6:00 p.m. Yolo County’s Adult and Family Literacy Program, Yolo Reads, provides free tutoring to adults who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. An orientation for interested volunteer tutors will be held in the Children’s Activity Room. No experience is necessary, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. Contact us at 530-666-8019 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following ongoing programs continue in January:
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. For children in 3rd through 6th grades (Blanchard Room). Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate. NOTE: Will be closed until January 5 for Winter Break.
• Computer Help: Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m., Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m., Thursdays at 3:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Groups: Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday at 1:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2.
• PJ Story Time: Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. For children ages 3-5.
• Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Crafternoon Arts Group. Last Thursday of the month at 12:00 p.m. Bring your favorite craft or try one of ours. All ages are welcome.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Maker Kids: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. For children ages 8-12. (Blanchard Room)
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of January at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• January 20: Block Party!, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• January 27: Savvy Skincare with VN CARES, 11:00 a.m. Join us for this interactive and informational program about winter skincare. Participants will get to make and take home their own lotions. All ages welcome.
NOTICES: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed on January 1 for New Year’s Day and on January 15 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. On January 22 all branches will be open from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593, or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.