625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
March Programs at the Davis Branch Library
March Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Spring forward for the following programs held during the month of March at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- March is Women’s History Month! In recognition of the centennial of the 19th Amendment, the 2020 theme celebrates women who fought for women’s right to vote in the United States; also honored are 20th and 21st century women who have continued the struggle (fighting against poll taxes, literacy tests, voter roll purges, and other forms of voter suppression) to ensure voting rights for all. Check out our bibliography and display.
- March 5, 12, 19, 26: Davis Coding Workshop: Intro to Python (Small Conference Room), 3:45 p.m. Learn about the bits and bytes of Python from experienced high school students during this four-day workshop, hosted by the DHS Coding Club. For students grades 5 to 9. Signup at https://tiny.cc/mardcw.
- March 5: YoloWorks Skills Workshop: Improve Your Resume (Small Conference Room), 10:00 a.m. Bring resume and job description. Sign up at Information Desk or call (530) 757-5593 to reserve a seat. Drop-ins welcome if space permits. Workshop repeats first Thursday of each month.
- March 6: Flipbook Animation Workshop for Kids, (Small Conference Room), 4:00 p.m. Kids will learn about the basic principles of animation and take home their own animated story at the end of the session. Presented by the Davis Teen Animators Club and Davis Media Access. For ages 6-12.
- March 7 through April 18: In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program. Children (ages 4-12) can participate in this fun reading challenge to get a free In-N-Out coupon. Learn more at (530) 757-5596.
- March 7: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Teen Room), 10:00 a.m. Get help preparing your 2019 Income Tax Return. This free service, for families and individuals earning $51,000 or less, is offered every Saturday through April 11 (except March 14, 21 & 28) by the UC Davis VITA group. Bring a state-issued ID, a copy of your social security card and any relevant documents to file your taxes. No walk-ins after 12:00 p.m.
- March 7: Block Party! (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Drop in to create, design, and play with Lego Blocks. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- March 9: Meet Cricut! (Small Conference Room), 6:00 p.m. Learn how to use a Cricut, an electronic cutting machine for DIY projects and crafts.
- March 10: Aguas Frescas: Lotería Paint Night (Children’s Activity Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us for a night of painting your favorite lotería card and learn about Mexican Bingo! Homemade refreshments provided.
- March 12: Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. A meeting for the elders in our community. Watch a YouTube clip and discuss the conscious aging movement and how you can be a part of it.
- March 12: Keep in Touch (KIT) (Teen Room), 4:00 p.m. Enjoy a calming space for teens and young adults needing inspiration, social support, or a place to chat. Relaxing activities available. For ages 13-19.
- March 13: Teen Anime After Hours (Children’s Activity Room), 5:30 p.m. Watch three episodes of anime and enjoy free snacks, while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- March 14: Pi Day Poster Party, 2:00 p.m. Help create a giant poster using color coded stickers and worksheets. Fill in all the boxes to reveal the mystery design. Pie will be served!
- March 14 & 15: Study Session, 5:00 p.m. Study for finals in a comfortable space; available until 10:00 p.m.
- March 17: New! Davis Library Workshop, 7:00 p.m. Join us for a monthly crafting/making/tinkering session with all materials provided. This month’s project is button making or bring your own project.
- March 17: The Library Book Club (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us for a discussion of the novel 57 Bus by Dashka Slater.
- March 18: Financial Literacy Series: Understanding Credit, 6:00 p.m. Learn the benefit (and costs) of credit cards; the different types of credit; the difference between your credit report and credit score; how to figure your credit limit; and how to build a good credit history. By Travis Credit Union.
- March 19: YoloWorks Skills Workshop: Ace Your Interview (Small Conference Room), 10:00 a.m. Register at the Info Desk or call (530) 757-5593. If space permits, drop-ins welcome. Every third Thursday.
- March 19: Battle for the Ballot: A Speaker Series to Celebrate 100 Years of Women’s Suffrage, 6:00 p.m. Listen to Dr. Wendy Rouse, an Associate Professor of History at SJSU who focuses on the history of women and children in the United States during the Progressive-Era, present her project “Queering the History of the Women’s Suffrage Movement.” Explore how suffragists reinforced and challenged heteronormative views of gender and sexuality while also highlighting the role of queer suffragists in the movement.
- March 21: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- March 21: The Republic of Secret Saturdays, 3:00 p.m. For teens who want to gather for social activities. Activities rotate monthly. Contact Teen Librarian at Katrina.email@example.com. For ages 13-18.
- March 22: Year-Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
- March 26: Tuleyome Lecture Series: Trails and Floats in the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument Area, 7:00 p.m. Where do you go to hike and float? Join Tuleyome founder Andrew Fulks to learn about trails and where to put in a boat or raft in the mountains west and north of Davis.
- March 26: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui.
- March 29: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title, call (530) 757-5596.
- March 30: Yolo Reads New Tutor Orientation (Children’s Activity Room), 6:00 p.m. Join our team of volunteers and provide one-on-one literacy support to English speaking adults.
- March 12 & 26: Introducing Process Art Play for You and Your Child (Children’s Activity Room), 11:00 a.m. Children (ages 0-5) and their caregivers are invited to enhance their bond by creating art together in this hands-on workshop led by Yolo County Children's Alliance. This program continues through July.
The following ongoing programs continue in March:
- “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate. For children in grades 3-6.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:30 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 750-9139.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Print 3D objects on the Library’s printer. Three-hour slots can be reserved and booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Computer Help: Mondays: 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays: 4:00 p.m., Wednesdays: 5:15 p.m., Saturdays: 3:00 p.m.
- Korean Language and Culture Class: Mondays at 5:30 p.m. (Beginners); and 6:30 p.m. (Intermediate).
- Homework Help Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and science for elementary, middle, and high school courses. Volunteers provided by Davis High School. For ages 5-18.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
The following programs will be held during the month of March at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
- March 7: Loose Parts Play Day, 11:00 a.m. Children are invited to engage in creative experiences using loose parts such as leaves, rocks, sticks, blocks, or recycled materials. For ages 6-12.
- March 14: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- March 31: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. March’s project is rock painting.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events in Davis at Yolo County Library branches, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library or South Davis Montgomery Library events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.