625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
December Programs at the Davis Branch Library
December Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Celebrate the season with the following programs held during the month of December at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- December is Kindness Month. Yolo County Library and Resilient Yolo invite you to “be the one” this December by extending an act of kindness every day this month toward a friend, family member, your community, the environment, or yourself. A person's life can change for the better with one positive connection with another person. Check out our kindness calendar, display and bibliography for inspiration.
- December 4 & 18: Introducing Art Therapy for You and Your Child, 11:00 a.m. Children ages 0-5 and their caregivers are invited to enhance their bond by creating art in this hands-on workshop led by Yolo County Children's Alliance.
- December 5: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka.
- December 6, 7 & 8: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- December 7: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- December 7: Block Party! (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Enjoy hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks in this drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- December 9: Yolo Reads Orientation (Children’s Activity Room), 6:00 p.m. Join our team of volunteers and provide one-on-one literacy support to English speaking adults.
- December 9: Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7:00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
- December 12: Active Older Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. A meeting for the elders in our community. Watch a YouTube clip and discuss the conscious aging movement and how you can be a part of it.
- December 12: Teen Library Advisory Board (Small Conference Room), 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday of the month to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, collection recommendations, and more. No experience necessary. For ages 13-18.
- December 14: Building Community Ferment, 11:00 a.m. Bring your family, friends, and microbes to a fermented foods workshop. Everyone will leave with a jar of sauerkraut and a recipe.
- December 14: Frosty’s Magic Hat, 2:00 p.m. Frosty's magic hat is full of tricks! Experience wintry magic with Tony Borders, Frosty and his puppet friends.
- December 17: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Enjoy an evening of Aguas Frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. December’s project is light-up greeting cards. All materials provided.
- December 20: Teen Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Watch three episodes of anime and enjoy free snacks, while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- December 28: The Republic of Secret Saturdays, 3:00 p.m. For teens who want to get together for social activities. Activities rotate for each meetup. Contact Davis Teen Librarian at Katrina.email@example.com for details. For ages 13-18.
- December 29: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
- “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate. For children in grades 3-6. Cancelled December 23 through January 5.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m. and (starting December 23) at 5:30 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 and (until December 17) at 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:30 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 750-9139. Cancelled December 23 & 30.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Print 3D objects on the Library’s printer. Three-hour slots can be reserved and booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Computer Help: Mondays at 5:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 4:00 p.m., Wednesdays at 5:15 p.m. and Saturdays at 3:00 p.m.
- Korean Language and Culture Class, Mondays at 6:00 p.m. This group is for adults who wish to gain basic knowledge of the Korean language and culture. No meetings in December.
- Homework Help Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and science for elementary, middle, and high school courses. Volunteers provided by Davis High School. For ages 5-18. Cancelled December 23 through January 3.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Library Book Club: Third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
- Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. Meeting December 5 this month.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
- Year Round Kitchen Gardening: Cancelled in December. Resumes January 26.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Cancelled in December. Resumes January 19.
The following programs will be held during the month of December at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
- December 7: Star Wars Rock Painting, 11:00 a.m. From astromech droids to Womp Rats, have fun painting rocks with a Star Wars theme! For all ages; small children may require assistance.
- December 14: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- December 17: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. December’s project is DIY block printing and card making.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
NOTICES: The South Davis Montgomery Library will be closed on December 24 and 31 while all other library branches will be closed at 6:00 p.m. All Yolo County Library branches will be closed on December 25 for Christmas Day and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program allows library card holders to clear $1 in overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. All are welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program allows customers to donate money to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Donors will write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk for cardholders to redeem and lower their fines.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events in Davis at Yolo County Library branches, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library or South Davis Montgomery Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.