625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
November Programs at the Davis Branch Library
November Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Bring family and friends to the following fall programs held during the month of November at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- November is Native American Heritage Month! All branches will celebrate with displays highlighting the history and culture of the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation and recommended reading.
- November 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30: National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) (Small Conference Room), 1:00 p.m. Come in and enjoy a quiet space to finish that novel!
- November 2: I Learn America: Yolo Book Read Film Screening, 2:00 p.m. Nearly one in four children is an immigrant or the child of immigrants. This documentary film is about one high school, one school year and five new Americans.
- November 2: Block Party! (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Enjoy hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks in this drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- Continuing through November 3: Costume Contest. Enter to win a prize for the best costumes in Yolo County by 1) posting your own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page (facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org) or Instagram page (instagram.com/yolocountylibrary) with the tag #yclcontest19 or 2) wearing your costume to your local library branch and asking a staff member to take your picture. Four winners will be selected by November 10 for a prize and recognition at their local branch.Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners!
- November 6 & 13: Introducing Art Therapy for You and Your Child, 11:00 a.m. Children ages 0-5 and their caregivers are invited to enhance their bond by creating art in this hands-on workshop led by Yolo County Children's Alliance.
- November 8: Teen Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Watch three episodes of anime and enjoy free snacks, while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- November 9: Coventry and Kaluza, 2:00 p.m. Hula hoops, spinning plates, and juggling, oh my! This hilarious circus show will amaze and make you laugh out loud!
- November 14: Active Older Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. A meeting for the elders in our community. Watch a YouTube clip and discuss the conscious aging movement and how you can be a part of it.
- November 14: Teen Library Advisory Board (Small Conference Room), 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday of the month to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, collection recommendations, and more. No experience necessary. For ages 13-18.
- November 16: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- November 16: The Republic of Secret Saturdays: Evening Edition 5:30 p.m. For teens who want to get together for social activities. This special after-hours edition will play a cult classic film. Contact Davis Teen Librarian at Katrina.Laws-Ewald@yolocounty.org for details. For ages 13-18.
- November 19: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Enjoy an evening of Aguas Frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating November’s project of cork planters. All materials provided.
- November 20: Financial Literacy Series: Budgeting for Homeownership, 6:00 p.m. This seminar presents valuable tips about moving and settling into a new home. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
- November 21: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka.
- November 24: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596.
- November 24: Year Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
The following ongoing programs continue in November:
- “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate. For children in grades 3-6.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:30 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 750-9139.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Print 3D objects on the Library’s printer. Three-hour slots can be reserved and booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Computer Help: Mondays at 5:00 p.m. and Wednesdays at 5:15 p.m.
- Korean Language and Culture Class, Mondays at 6:00 p.m. This group is for adults who wish to gain basic knowledge of the Korean language and culture. No class on November 11.
- Homework Help Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and sciences for elementary, middle, and high school courses. Volunteers provided by Davis High School. For ages 5-18.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Library Book Club: Third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
- Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
The following programs will be held during the month of November at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
- November 2: Family Game Day, 11:00 a.m. Take a break with some indoor game time! We’ll supply family favorites and unique new games suitable for all ages.
- November 9: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- November 19: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. November’s project is book-cover painting on bricks.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
NOTICES: On November 11 all Yolo County Library branches will be closed for Veterans Day. In observance of Thanksgiving, on November 27 all library branches will be closed at 6:00 p.m. while the Clarksburg Branch Library will be closed all day; on November 28-29 all library branches will be closed.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program allows library card holders to clear $1 in overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs November 4 through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. Everyone is welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program allows customers to donate money to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Donors will write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk for cardholders to redeem and lower their fines.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events in Davis at Yolo County Library branches, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library or South Davis Montgomery Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.