625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
October Programs at the Davis Branch Library
October Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) –Treats are in store with programs held during the month of October at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- Continuing through October 15: Latinx Heritage Month. Learn about the histories, cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America with our bibliography and display.
- October 2, 9, 16 & 30: Zombie Film Series, 6:30 p.m. Be scared, very scared! Free popcorn and theater candy while supplies last. Check with library staff for film titles.
- October 4, 5 & 6: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- October 5: Block Party (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Enjoy hours of creation, design and play with Lego Blocks in this drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- October 8: LGBTQIA 101, 6:30 p.m. Learn foundational information about sex, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation in a socio-historical context and examine how current systems may be harmful to LGBTQIA people. Sponsored by UCD-LGBTQIA Resource Center.
- October 10, 17, 24 & 31: (New!) Parent Education Class (Children’s Activity Room), 10:10 a.m. Learn about nurturing practices for you and your child. FREE childcare and food provided. Registration is required for this cumulative 10-part series by calling (530) 902-6850. Sponsored by Yolo County Children’s Alliance and First 5 Yolo. For families of children ages 0-5.
- October 10: Teen Library Advisory Board (Small Conference Room), 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday of the month to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, collection recommendations, and more. No experience necessary. For ages 13-18.
- October 10: Filipino-American Heritage Celebration, 5:00 p.m. Come and celebrate the history of Filipino American culture with a special film screening of labor activist Larry Itliong, readings by Filipino authors, oral histories, food, and more.
- October 11: Teen Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Watch three episodes of anime and enjoy free pizza and popcorn, while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- October 12: Xtreme Science Magic, 2:00 p.m. Do you like science? How about magic? Join us as Don O’Brien shows off amazing magic and the science that makes it work.
- October 15: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Enjoy an evening of Aguas Frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. October’s project is Dia de los Muertos picture frames.
- October 19: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- October 19: Dog Day Afternoon, 2:00 p.m. We’re celebrating dogs by hosting adoptions, agility events, crafts, documentary viewing, and mini lectures.
- October 19: The Republic of Secret Saturdays (Teen Room), 3:00 p.m. Teens can get together for social activities. Each meetup will feature a different activity. For ages 13-18.
- October 20: Author Talk: Donna Levin, 1:00 p.m. Join the author of There’s More Than One Way Home, and He Could Be Another Bill Gates for a conversation about her work.
- October 23: Financial Literacy Series: Keys to College Financing, 6:00 p.m. Need money for college? Attend a free Cash for College workshop with Travis Credit Union. Learn how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), CA Dream Act Application (CADAA), and Chafee Grant for foster youth applications.
- October 24: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss The Paris Wife by Paula McLain.
- October 25: Teen Halloween Party, 5:30 p.m. Come in your best costume and enjoy a night of playing Just Dance, zombie games and munching on party snacks. For ages 13-18.
- October 26: National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) (Small Conference Room), 1:00 p.m. Enjoy a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing or find a quiet space to finish your novel!
- October 27: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596.
- October 27: Year-Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
- October 28: Yolo Reads Orientation (Children’s Activity Room), 6:00 p.m. Join our team of volunteers and provide one-on-one literacy support to English speaking adults.
- October 28: Voice of the Wood, 6:30 p.m. Watch stories come alive with sound effects, dramatic narration and masked movement. Presented by Heidi Bekebrede and Dianna Craig.
- October 28 to November 3: Costume Contest. Enter to win a prize for the best costumes in Yolo County by 1) posting your own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page (facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org) or Instagram page (instagram.com/yolocountylibrary) with the tag #yclcontest19 or 2) wearing your costume to your local library and asking a staff member to take your picture. Four winners will be selected by November 10 for a prize and recognition at their local library.Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners!
The following ongoing programs continue in October:
- “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. For children in grades 3-6. Must submit a signed liability waiver.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact email@example.com or (530) 750-9139.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Print 3D objects! Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Computer Help: Mondays at 5:00 p.m. and Wednesdays at 5:15 p.m.
- Korean Language and Culture Class, Mondays at 6:00 p.m. This group is for adults who wish to gain basic knowledge of the Korean language and culture. No class on October 14.
- Homework Help Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and science for elementary, middle and high school courses. For ages 5-18.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Library Book Club: Third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Parent Education Class: Thursdays at 10:10 a.m. Register at: (530) 902-6850 for this 10-part series. Sponsored by Yolo County Children’s Alliance and First 5 Yolo. For families of children 0-5.
- Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
- Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. For all ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
The following programs will be held during the month of October at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
- October 5: Simple Machines, 11:00 a.m. Explore how forces and objects interact to make things move. Test different pulley systems, build with gears, and discover the simple machines hidden in everyday objects.
- October 12: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design and play with Lego Blocks! Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- October 29: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. October’s project is step-by-step paint night.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. For all ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
NOTICE: On October 14, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. due to an all staff meeting.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events in Davis at Yolo County Library branches, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library or South Davis Montgomery Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.