625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
August Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
August Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Take a cool break with these programs held during the month of August at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
- Summer Reading Program 2019: It’s Showtime at Your Library! Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read on 10 different days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long with a final Grand Prize drawing. Program runs through August 31.
- Read Off Your Fines for Adults! Adults who complete the Summer Reading Program may choose to waive $10.00 in late fees from their library account as their prize. Program runs through August 31.
- August 1: Fair Housing Workshop, 4:00 p.m. Come for a free workshop to learn about your right to fair housing free from discrimination. Ryan Reyes from Project Sentinel will present information on fair housing laws and related topics. For more information, contact Ryan Reyes at (916) 513-3150 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 4: Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a movie (PG-13 or R) and free popcorn! For ages 18 and over. For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- August 7: Teen Club, 4:30 p.m. Teens are invited to join us for our monthly meeting with fun activities and future event planning for teens at the library! For ages 12-18.
- August 10: Teen Writing Club, 3:00 p.m. Want to improve your writing skills? Have a story to tell? Join us for a short lesson and write the time away. For ages 13-18.
- August 11: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie (G or PG) and free popcorn! For movie title call: (916) 375-6465.
- August 15: Aguas Frescas, 6:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while expressing your creativity with an arts and crafts project. Materials provided.
- August 16: Chess Club, 3:00 p.m. Love to play chess or want to learn how? Join us for our monthly Chess Club. All ages and skill levels welcome.
- August 21: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- August 21: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Join us for our monthly evening book club. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s book selection is Turn Right at Machu Picchu by Mark Adams. Please contact Cindy at 916-731-5504 for more information.
- Adulting 101, 3:30 p.m. Are you ready for life after high school? Join our Adulting 101 series to learn essential skills for navigating the world of adulthood. For ages 13-18.
- August 26: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children are invited to read to a therapy dog. Animals are great reading companions because they are patient and do not judge. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child. For ages 6-12.
- August 28: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at: (916) 375-6465, extension 4, email email@example.com, or visit www.wsfol.org.
- August 30: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants welcome.
- August 31: Maker Fair, 2:00 p.m. Say goodbye to Summer Reading by letting your imagination run wild at our Maker Fair. Arts and crafts materials will be provided, just bring your imagination!
The following ongoing programs continue in August:
- Lunch at the Library: Monday through Friday at 12:00 p.m., Join us through August 9 for free summer meals at the library, provided by United Way. (Ages 0-18).
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.Ages 0-5.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.Ages 3-5.
- Yolo County Mental Health First Responders: Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. Case Managers from Yolo County First Responders’ Mental Health Urgent Care are available at the library! Get information and assistance connecting to mental health services, housing, food, and crisis resources.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.Ages 0-12 months.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.Ages 0-5.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.