Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
July Programs at the Davis Branch Library
July Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Enjoy these cool programs held during the month of July at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- Summer Reading Program 2019: It’s Showtime at Your Library! Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read on 10 different days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long with a final Grand Prize drawing. Program runs through August 31.
- Read Off Your Fines for Adults! Adults who complete the Summer Reading Program may choose to have up to $10.00 in late fees waived from their library account as their prize. Program runs through August 31.
- July 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31: ComFORT Under Cover Readers (Teen Room), 2:30 p.m. Come every Wednesday in July for a silent, hideaway book club and read under a giant fort of blankets!
- July 5: After Hours Teen Throwback Movie Night, 5:30 p.m. Enjoy a favorite pop-culture flick from the 1980’s and test your knowledge in the after-movie trivia quiz. Popcorn and snacks provided while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- July 6: Block Party (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks in this drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- July 9: Noodle War, 3:00 p.m. Join a nation, lead an army, and embrace the chaos in Noodle War, where the battle for the strongest pool noodle never ends! For ages 13-18.
- July 11: Active Older Wisdom Circle, 10:15 a.m. Special guest speaker Carolynn Washington, Education Outreach Coordinator for the Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP), will speak about Medicare updates and enrollments. This group meets monthly to discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
- July 11: Uncle Jer’s Traveling Bee Show, 2:00 p.m. Learn about bee pollination and honey production in an engaging presentation. Free honey samples and activity books will be provided.
- July 11: Teen Library Advisory Board (T-LAB), 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library and join us every second Thursday of the month to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, collection recommendations, and more. No experience necessary. For ages 13-18.
- July 13: After Hours Summer Camp Fright Night, 5:30 p.m. Gather around the camp fire, enjoy s’mores and get ready for the scariest fright films of your life. For ages 13-18.
- July 16: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Join us for an evening of aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. July’s theme is succulents. All materials provided.
- July 18: Peter and the Starcatcher, 2:00 p.m. Try your hand at acting with an Acme Theatre Company workshop and get a sneak preview of this summer’s new play, Peter and the Starcatcher.
- July 19: Teen Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Watch three episodes of anime and enjoy free pizza and popcorn, while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- July 20: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- July 23: Afternoon Art Retreat, 3:00 p.m. Write, paint, dance, sculpt or make art in whatever way that inspires you. It’s your creative retreat! For ages 13-18.
- July 25: Charged Particles: Jazz with Spark, 2:00 p.m. This interactive workshop will highlight the various styles of jazz music and explore the different ways that instruments play together.
- July 25: Tuleyome Lecture Series: Butterflies, 6:00 p.m. Join entomologist Dr. Art Shapiro to learn more about butterflies. Dr. Shapiro has been monitoring butterfly populations across Central California for more than 35 years.
- July 25: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown.
- July 26: Summer Concert Series: Red Dirt Ruckus, 6:00 p.m. Our Summer Concert Series continues with Red Dirt Ruckus. This funky, rocking, bluegrass fusion band is sure to be a great time.
- July 28: Year Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
- July 28: Family Movie (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596.
The following ongoing programs continue in July:
- Computer Help: Mondays at 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.; Fridays at 10:10 a.m.; and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Library Book Club: Third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
- Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. For all ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m.
- Discover India: Fourth Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m. No meeting in July.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
The following programs will be held during the month of July at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
- July 13: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- July 20: Puppet Planet Showtime, 11:00 a.m. Meet a monkey who wants to go to the moon and Cosmo, the dog who went from the streets to the stars! You may run into some funny space creatures on this space adventure.
- July 30: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. July’s project is canvas art with puzzle pieces.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. For all ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
NOTICES: Yolo County Library branches will be closed on July 4 in observance of Independence Day. On July 15, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an all staff meeting.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, are located in the Library’s Blanchard Room and no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.