Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
June Programs at the Davis Branch Library
June Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Bring the family to the following special programs held during the month of June at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- June is Pride Month! Let’s recognize, celebrate, and support the LGBTQIA+ community, history, and culture. This year’s Pride Month commemorates the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall riots in New York as well as the history of gay rights and related civil rights movements. Check out our book display, bibliography, bookmarks, and buttons!
- Summer Reading Program 2019: It’s Showtime at Your Library! Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read on 10 different days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long with a final Grand Prize drawing. Program runs through August 31.
- Read Off Your Fines for Adults! Adults who complete the Summer Reading Program may choose to have up to $10.00 in late fees waived from their library account as their prize. Program runs through August 31.
- June 1: Building Community Ferment, 11:00 a.m. Bring your family, friends, and microbes to a fermented foods workshop. Everyone will leave with their own jar of sauerkraut and a recipe.
- June 1: Block Party (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks in this drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. For ages 3 and up.
- June 1: Summer Reading Kickoff Party for Adults!, 3:00 p.m. The Summer Reading Program for adults will kick off at Super Owl Brewery, located at 1260 Lake Blvd., Suite 121, Davis CA, 95616. Join us for books and brews and find out about our cool summer programs.
- June 2: Juneteenth, 12:00 p.m. This fun, family-friendly event at the Veterans Memorial Center celebrates the enforcement of the Emancipation Proclamation ending slavery on June 19, 1865.
- June 5, 12, 19 & 26: Pride Film Series, 7:00 p.m. Celebrate diversity through films that highlight the LGBTQIA community.
- June 7, 8 & 9: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- June 10: Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7:00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
- June 13: Summer Reading Kickoff Party for Children! 2:00 p.m. Join us for Summer Reading Program excitement with popsicles, games, and a bounce house!
- June 15: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- June 18: Summer Reading Kickoff: Mad Hatter Tea Party for Teens! 3:00 p.m. Step through the doors to Wonderland and enjoy a fabulous tea party with the whimsical and weird. Enjoy treats and play games with other mad guests. Carouse, lounge or dance the afternoon away. Flamboyant costumes encouraged. For ages 13-18.
- June 18: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Join us for an evening of aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters). June’s theme is Family Game Night. All materials provided.
- June 19: Teen Poetry with Noel Hassan, 2:30 p.m. Meet teen poet Noel Hassan and learn about her journey to become a published author. Learn the first steps to creating a writing piece and listen to poetry readings from Noel’s book Poetry and Me.
- June 20: Magical Nathaniel! 2:00 p.m. Join us for a high energy magic show with lots of audience interaction. Stay after for a hands-on workshop to learn magic that will amaze your friends!
- June 21: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Watch three episodes of anime every second Friday. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- June 23: Year Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
- June 27: Bike Repair and Safety Workshop, 2:00 p.m. Ken's Bike-Ski-Board staff will teach participants about tuning up bikes and riding safely!
- June 27: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
- June 28: Element Brass Band, 6:00 p.m. Kick off the Summer Concert Series with Element Brass Band. This authentic second-line band will ensure a great time for all ages!
- June 30: Family Movie (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596.
The following ongoing programs continue in June:
- Computer Help: Mondays at 1:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.; Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.; Fridays at 3:30 p.m.; and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate. Last day is June 13.
- Davis Youth Literacy: Program discontinued in June.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Homework Help Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. For youth ages 5-18. Last day is June 6.
- Library Book Club: Third Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
- Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12. No program on June 7.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m.
- Discover India: Fourth Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m. No meeting in June or July.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
- Teen Library Advisory Board: No meeting in June; meetings will resume in July.
The following programs will be held during the month of June at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, is located in the Library’s Blanchard Room and no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.