Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
May Programs at the Davis Branch Library
May Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Bring the family to the following special programs held during the month of May at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
- May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (APAHM): Celebrate the achievements and contributions of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States by checking out our book display and bibliography!
- May 4: Block Party (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks in this drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Recommended for children ages 3 and up.
- May 5: Children’s Day in South Korea (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. Come celebrate Children’s Day which highlights the dignity of children and their need for love, care and respect.
- May 9: Teen Library Advisory Board (Small Conference Room) 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday of the month to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, recommendations for the collection, and more. For ages 13-18. No experience is necessary.
- May 10: Anime After Hours (Blanchard Room), 5:30 p.m. Come to the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. For ages 13-18.
- May 18: Davis Origami Group (Children’s Activity Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
- May 18: Author Talk – PUGUT: African Americans in the Philippine-American War (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. Join us for an interactive presentation and conversation with author Kirby Pabalan-Tayag Araullo, exploring the stories of Filipinos and African Americans in the Philippine-American War.
- May 19: Davis Pride Festival, 10:00 a.m. Celebrate LGBTQIA Pride with us at Central Park. Visit the Library Book Bike for books, bubbles, buttons, and more!
- May 19: Yolo County Master Gardeners (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
- May 20 – August 31: Summer Reading Program 2019: It’s Showtime At Your Library! Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: Read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read on 10 different days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long with a final Grand Prize drawing.
- May 20 – August 31: Read Off Your Fines for Adults! Adults who complete the Summer Reading Program may choose to have up to $10.00 in late fees waived from their library account as their prize.
- May 21: Aguas Frescas Series (Blanchard Room), 7:00 p.m. Please join us for an evening of aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. May’s project is rock painting. All materials provided.
- May 22: Financial Literacy Series: ID Theft Prevention and Protection (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. How do people make themselves vulnerable to identity theft? This presentation helps you understand how to protect your Social Security number from fraud, become skilled at spotting phishing attacks on your email inbox, learn how to shop safely online, and what to do if you become a victim of fraud. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
- May 23: Tuleyome Lecture Series: Grizzly Bears (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. Come learn about the history, ecology, and future of grizzlies in the Pacific Northwest and California.
- May 23: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss The Art of Racing in the Run by Garth Stein.
- May 24: Flipbook Animation Workshop, 4:00 p.m. (Small Conference Room). Learn about the basic principles of animation and tell your very own story. Materials provided by Davis Media Access. Presented by the Davis Teen Animators Club. Space is limited. For ages 5-11.
- May 25: Maker Kids - Dental Hygiene (Blanchard Room), 2:30 p.m.Have you been brushing and flossing your teeth the right way? Step into the Maker Lab as we experiment with how to keep your teeth in good health. For ages 6-12.
- May 26: Mellon Music Festival (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. Come out and listen to a free community concert. This acoustic performance will involve chamber works for flute and strings.
- May 26: Year Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
- May 26: Family Movie (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
The following ongoing programs continue in May:
- Computer Help: Mondays at 1:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.; Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.; Fridays at 3:30 p.m.; and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
- “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
- Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 750-9139.
- 3D Printing: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
- One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Homework Help Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. For youth ages 5-18. Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and sciences for elementary, middle, and high school courses. Volunteers provided by Davis High School and UC Davis Pediatric Education, Advocacy and Development Society (PEADS).
- Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
- Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
- Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
- Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. Note: No meeting on May 23 and May 30.
- Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. For all ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
- Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. For all ages.
- Discover India: Fourth Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m.
- Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
The following programs will be held during the month of May at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. For all ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- May 18: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Recommended for children ages 3 and up.
- May 28: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. Learn a new craft or share your own expertise. Each month has a new project; May’s is macramé. This program meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month.
NOTICE: All Yolo County Library branches will be closed on May 27, in observance of Memorial Day.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.