Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
May Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
May Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Come along to the following special programs held during the month of May at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
- May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (APAHM): Celebrate the achievements and contributions of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States by checking out our book display and bibliography!
- May 3: Maker Kids: Piñatas, 3:30 p.m. Please join us for a monthly hands-on program exploring science, technology, engineering, art, and math at the library. Young children will need the assistance of their responsible grown up. This month participants will make their own piñatas! For ages 6-12.
- May 5: Sunday Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a PG-13 or rated R movie shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! For ages 18 and over. Brought to you through the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
- May 6: Elder Law Workshop, 1:00 p.m. Join us for the first of three workshops presented by Legal Services of Northern California and the Yolo County Law Library. This month’s workshop will be on Senior Citizens Preventing and Reporting Elder Abuse.
- May 10: Introduction to Computers, 5:45 p.m. Adults are invited to register for this free computer class that offers a basic introduction to computers including the different kinds of personal computers available, an overview of computer terms, and practice on the internet. Computers will be provided. Space is limited. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
- May 12: Family Movie: 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
- May 13: Love on a Leash, 3:00 p.m. Children ages 6-12 are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents and caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits, participants may choose a free book.
- May 13: California Telephone Access: iPhone Training, 4:00 p.m. Have an iPhone but have trouble using it? Come to this class and learn how to use your iPhone device to its fullest potential. All ages welcome. Class size is limited. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
- May 15: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
- May 15: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
- May 16: Aguas Frescas:, 6:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while expressing your creativity. This month’s project is button making. Materials provided.
- May 17: Chess Club, 3:00 p.m. Love to play chess or want to learn how? Join us for our monthly Chess Club. All ages and skill levels welcome.
- May 20 – August 31: Summer Reading Program 2019: It’s Showtime At Your Library! Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: Read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read on 10 different days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long with a final Grand Prize drawing.
- May 20 – August 31: Read Off Your Fines for Adults! Adults who complete the Summer Reading Program may choose to have up to $10.00 in late fees waived from their library account as their prize.
- May 25: Summer Reading Program Kick-Off Party, 2:00 p.m. It’s Showtime At Your Library! Join us to celebrate the beginning of our Summer Reading Program with fun activities for the whole family!
- May 29: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. WSFOL is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services. WSFOL is always recruiting for new friends. Please contact the WSFOL for more information by calling (916) 375-6465, extension 4 or email email@example.com. The WSFOL meets the last Wednesday of the month.
- May 31: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XL, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
The following ongoing programs continue in May:
- I SEE YOU Arts Program: Mondays at 12 p.m. I SEE YOU is a YoloArts project that seeks to bring together those experiencing homelessness with service providers through arts exploration. Participants will have the chance to sell their art with all proceeds going directly to the artist. Materials and lunch provided. Adults only.
- Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. An award winning program for children and their parents or caregivers that combines music, movement, visual literacy, and language development to help children develop emotionally and socially while encouraging a positive attitude towards learning. For ages 1-3.
- Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Children and their parents/caregivers are invited to join us for stories, songs, movement, rhymes, and finger-plays in Russian and English. Arts and crafts will be provided as part of the story time. For ages 0-5.
- Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8 to receive homework help. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Please call the Innovation Coordinator at (916) 375-6465, ext. 6469. Note: The last day for the 2018-19 school year is May 16.
- Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Children and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for stories, rhymes, song and finger-plays to help develop early literacy skills and encourage group participation. For ages 3-5.
- English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. Join our adult Conversation Group and improve your English in a fun and relaxed way with the aid of a group facilitator. No registration is required; drop-in visitors are welcome.
- Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading and build confidence with an older “buddy.” Each child will be paired up with a high school student from the River City High School Interact Club for a 30-minute reading session. After 10 visits, participants may choose a free book.
- Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Children and their parents or caregivers are invited to this lap-sit program that features language development through songs, picture books, finger-plays, and lullabies. For ages 0-12 months.
- Hora de Cuentos / Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Children and their parents/caregivers are invited to join us for stories, songs, movement, rhymes, and finger-plays in Russian and English. Arts and crafts will be provided as part of this story time. For ages 0-5.
NOTICE: All Yolo County Library branches will be closed on May 27, in observance of Memorial Day.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.