625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
April Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) –Visit your library for the following special programs held during the month of April at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
• April is National Poetry Month! April is National Poetry Month, marking poetry’s important place in our culture and our lives. Check out the Library’s display and bibliography.
• In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program, through April 13. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For additional details visit the library or call (530) 375-6465.
• Library Bingo, through April 30. Adults are invited to read, connect and discover by playing Library Bingo. Free cards will be available in English and Spanish at any Yolo County Library branch and also online through the library’s website. After completing five consecutive squares in any direction (horizontal, vertical or diagonal), return the card to the library to be entered into a drawing to receive a prize. The more cards you complete, the more chances you have to win! Cards must be turned in by May 4 to be entered into the drawing.
• April 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29: I See You, 12:00 p.m. This program is a YoloArts project funded by a grant from the James Irvine Foundation’s Exploring Engagement Fund. The project seeks to increase community engagement through the arts among people experiencing homelessness in Yolo County, while raising awareness for participants throughout the region by saying I SEE YOU.
• April 6 & 13: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturday), 9:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Saturday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group for families and individuals earning $60,000 or less. Please bring a state-issued ID, a copy of your social security card and any relevant documents to file your taxes.
• April 7 & 14: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:30 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Sunday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group for families and individuals earning $60,000 or less. Please bring a state-issued ID, a copy of your social security card and any relevant documents to file your taxes.
• April 7: Sunday Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a PG-13 or rated R movie shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! For ages 18+ only. Brought to you through the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• April 7 through April 13: National Library Week! Join us in celebration of the valuable role libraries, librarians and library workers play in transforming lives and communities. We'll be celebrating by highlighting our new online resources, featuring a display on the history of the public library in the United States, and playing Library Bingo all month. Stop by your library branch to see what’s new!
• April 8: Android Phone Class, 4:00 p.m. Learn more about your Android phone in this free class. Sign up required as space is limited.
• April 8: Love on a Leash, 3:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• April 12: Maker Kids, 3:30 p.m. Maker Kids has come to the Arthur F. Turner Community Library! Please join us for a monthly hands-on program exploring science, technology, engineering, art, and math at the library. Every month explore a new activity examining the fascinating world around us. Best for ages 6-12. Young children will need the assistance of their parent/caregiver.
• April 14: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• April 17: Intro to Computers, 9:00 a.m. Adults are invited to register for a free basic computer class. It offers participants a basic introduction to computers including the different kinds of personal computers available, an overview of computer terms, and practice on the internet. Computers will be provided. Registration required as space is limited.
• April 17: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• April 17: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• April 18: Aguas Frescas: Make-a-Poem Night, 6:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while making your own poetry in a book to take home. Materials provided.
• April 19: Chess Club, 3:00 p.m. All ages are welcome to come enjoy a friendly game of Chess! All levels welcome. Come ready to share what you know & to make new friends.
• April 24: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. WSFOL is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services. WSFOL is always recruiting for new friends. Please contact the WSFOL for more information by calling (916) 375-6465, extension 4 or email email@example.com. The WSFOL meets the last Wednesday of the month.
• April 26: Lego Block Party!, 3:30 p.m. Please join us for our monthly block party. In this self-directed program youth are invited to build with Legos at the Library in the Community Room. Big and small blocks will be provided. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• April 26: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XXXVIX, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• April 27: Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros, 11:00 a.m. This is a free, multicultural program for the whole family featuring storytelling and a special performance by Mariachi Trio Tradicional de Sacramento. Participate in fun activities and receive a FREE book!
• April 29: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• April 29: RESILIENCE: The Biology of Stress and Science of Hope, 6:00 p.m. Free movie screening followed by a question and answer period with an expert panel. In honor of Child Abuse Prevention Month, Yolo County Child Abuse Prevention Council (CAPC), Resilient Yolo, and Foster & Kinship Care Education are hosting a community event to learn about community resources and how to promote resilience in children. Resilience is the ability to thrive, adapt and cope despite tough and stressful times. The more resilient a child is, the more likely they are to deal with negative situations, such as Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), in a healthy way.
The following ongoing programs continue in April:
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8 to receive homework help. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Please call the Innovation Coordinator at (916) 375-6468.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ages 0-5.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
• Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading and build confidence with an older “buddy.” Each child will be paired up with a high school student from the River City High School Interact Club for a 30-minute reading session. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
NOTICE: On April 15 all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for a staff development training.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.