625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
April Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Spring is in the air! Celebrate with the following programs held during the month of April at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• April is National Poetry Month! April is National Poetry Month, marking poetry’s important place in our culture and our lives. Check out the Library’s display and bibliography.
• In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program, through April 13. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For additional details visit the library or call (530) 757-5593.
• Library Bingo, through April 30. Adults are invited to read, connect and discover by playing Library Bingo. Free cards will be available in English and Spanish at any Yolo County Library branch and also online through the library’s website. After completing five consecutive squares in any direction (horizontal, vertical or diagonal), return the card to the library to be entered into a drawing to receive a prize. The more cards you complete, the more chances you have to win! Cards must be turned in by May 4 to be entered into the drawing.
• April 5, 6 & 7: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale (Blanchard Room). Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• April 6: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Teen Room), 10:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service, provided for families and individuals earning $60,000 or less, is offered every Saturday through April 6 by the UC Davis VITA group. Please bring a state-issued ID, a copy of your social security card and any relevant documents to file your taxes. Note: walk-ins will not be accepted after 12:00 p.m.
• April 6: Block Party! (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• April 7 through April 13: National Library Week! Join us in celebration of the valuable role libraries, librarians and library workers play in transforming lives and communities. We'll be celebrating by highlighting our new online resources, featuring a display on the history of the public library in the United States, and playing Library Bingo all month. Stop by your library branch to see what’s new!
• April 8: Prostate Cancer Support Group (Blanchard Room), 7:00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• April 11: Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle (Blanchard Room), 10:15 a.m. This group meets monthly to discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• April 11: Teen Library Advisory Board (Small Conference Room) 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday of the month to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, recommendations for the collection, and more. We are looking for enthusiastic book lovers who want to spread their passion. For ages 13-18 and no experience is necessary.
• April 12: Anime After Hours (Blanchard Room), 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. We will watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• April 16: Aguas Frescas Series (Blanchard Room), 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. Our April project is “Papel Picado.”
• April 20: Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros, 10:00 a.m. This is a free, multicultural program for the whole family featuring storytelling and a special performance. Participate in fun activities and receive a FREE book!
• April 20: Davis Origami Group (Blanchard Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• April 21: Yolo County Master Gardeners (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• April 24: Financial Literacy Series: Building Budgets (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. Design a financial blueprint for controlling your monthly expenditures. Set realistic goals, identify spending leaks, live within your means, stay motivated, and never lose sight of your ultimate financial goals. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• April 25: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Euphoria by Lily King.
• April 28: Year Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• April 28: Family Movie (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
• April 30: Financial Planning for Women (Blanchard Room), 7:00 p.m. Presented by Shayne Corriea-Fernandez, Financial Advisor for Northwestern Mutual and Founder and President of the non-profit group Sacramento Women Achieving Greatness (SWAG).
The following ongoing programs continue in April:
• Computer Help: Mondays at 1:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.; Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.; Fridays at 3:30 p.m.; and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact email@example.com or (530) 750-9139.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• 3D Printing: Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
• Korean Language and Culture Class: Mondays at 5:30 p.m. This group is for adults who wish to gain a basic knowledge of Korean language and culture. NOTE: No class on April 8 and 15.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• Homework Help Center: Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and sciences for elementary, middle, and high school courses. Volunteers provided by Davis High School and UC Davis Pediatric Education, Advocacy and Development Society (PEADS). Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. For youth ages 5-18.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12. **No program 4/5 due to book sale.**
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• Discover India: Fourth Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m.
• Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
• 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
The following programs will be held during the month of April at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• April 9: Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros, 5:00 p.m. This is a free, multicultural program for the whole family featuring storytelling and a special performance. Participate in fun activities and receive a FREE book!
• April 27: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• April 30: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. Learn a new craft or share your own expertise. We will lead participants in a new project each session. This program meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month. April’s project is “Mixed Media Collages on Canvas.”
NOTICE: On April 15 all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for a staff development training.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see Events calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.