Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
February Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Come in out of the cold and join us with the following special programs held during the month of February at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
• February 2, 9, 16 & 23: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturday), 9:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Saturday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• February 3, 10, 17 & 24: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:30 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Sunday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• February 3: Sunday Movie Matinee for Adults, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a PG-13 or rated R movie shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! For ages 18+ only. Brought to you through the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• February 8: Maker Kids, 3:30 p.m. Maker Kids is coming to the Arthur F. Turner Community Library! Please join us for a monthly hands-on program exploring science, technology, engineering, art, and math at the library. Every month explore a new activity examining the fascinating world around us. Best for ages 6-12. Young children will need the assistance of their parent/caregiver.
• February 10: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• February 11: Love on a Leash, 3:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• February 11: Valentine’s Day Card Making, 4:00 p.m. Kids of all ages and their parents/caregivers are invited to come out and create their own special Valentine’s card for themselves or someone special. Materials will be provided.
• February 13 & 27: Teen Club, 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided. Teen Room.
• February 20: Computer 103 Class, 9:00 a.m. Adults are invited to register for this free basic computer class with a focus on email. This session offers participants a basic introduction to strong passwords, usernames and what they are used for. You will create an email account as well as have time to practice. Computers will be provided. Registration is required as space is limited.
• February 20: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another, and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• February 20: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Hour of Land: A Personal Topography of America’s National Parks by Terry Tempest Williams. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• February 21: Aguas Frescas: Paint Night, 6:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker project. This month’s project is paint night. Materials provided.
• February 22: Lego Block Party!, 3:30 p.m. Please join us for our monthly block party. Have fun building with Legos in the Community Room. In this self-directed program youth are invited to build with Legos at the Library. Big and small blocks will be provided. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• February 25: Catch-a-Beat, 4:00 p.m. Enjoy stories of music, dance, and world cultures told through movement in a fabulous program by performer Tina Rogers.
• February 25: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• February 27: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong – Part XXXVII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• February 27: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. WSFOL is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community supporting library programs and services. WSFOL is always recruiting for new friends. Please contact the WSFOL for more information by calling (916) 375-6465, extension 4 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The WSFOL meets the last Wednesday of the month.
The following ongoing programs continue in February:
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 1-3.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8 to receive homework help. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Please call the Innovation Coordinator at (916) 375-6468.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. Ages 0-5.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 3-5.
• Buddy Reading: Wednesdays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading and build confidence with an older “buddy.” Each child will be paired up with a high school student from the River City High School Interact Club for a 30-minute reading session. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby Story Time: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-12 months.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. Ages 0-5.
NOTICE: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed on February 18 for Presidents’ Day.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.