Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
February Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Escape the cold and cozy up with the following programs held during the month of February at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• February is Black History Month! The 2019 theme, “Black Migrations,” honors African Americans in motion as they moved from the farm to the cities, and from poverty to the national stage in business, politics, literature and the arts. Check out our book displays and bibliography.
• February 1, 2 & 3: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale (Blanchard Room). Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• February 2: Early Childhood and Preschool Fair, 9:00 a.m. Parents, caregivers and families are invited to attend this annual fair to learn more about preschool options and other services for families and young children available in Yolo County. This event is held at the Veterans Memorial Center, at 203 E 14th St, Davis, CA 95616.
• February 2, 9, 16 & 23: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Teen Room), 10:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2018 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service, provided for families and individuals earning $54,000 or less, is offered every Saturday (except March 23 & 30) through April 6 by the UC Davis VITA group. Please bring a state-issued ID, a copy of your social security card and any relevant documents to file your taxes. Note: walk-ins will not be accepted after 12:00 p.m.
• February 2: Block Party! (Children’s Activity Room), 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of play with Lego blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• February 4: Davis Youth Literacy Winter Writing Contest (Children’s Activity Room), 4:00 p.m. We interrupt our usual homework help session to present this special event. Compete with your friends in our first Winter Writing Contest. Participants will be presented with four writing challenges to compete for the title of “Best Writer.” Prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Contest is open to youth 6 to 12 years old.
• February 9: Digital Story Screening and Artists’ Reception (Blanchard Room), 11:30 a.m. Join the artists as we screen the emotional, vibrant and illuminating digital stories they created in our Yolo Branch Library workshop this past summer. All are welcome to attend the artists’ reception.
• February 9: Valentine’s Day Maker Cards (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. Get ready for Valentine’s Day by making special handmade cards for yourself or someone special!
• February 11: Prostate Cancer Support Group (Blanchard Room), 7:00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• February 14: Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle (Blanchard Room), 10:15 a.m. This group meets monthly to discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• February 14: Teen Library Advisory Board (Small Conference Room) 4:00 p.m. Are you a book nerd? Need volunteer credit? Get involved at your library! Join us every second Thursday to discuss and develop your ideas for teen programs, special projects, recommendations for the collection, and more. We are looking for enthusiastic book lovers who want to spread their passion. For ages 13-18 and no experience is necessary.
• February 15: Anime After Hours (Blanchard Room), 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. We will watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• February 16: Davis Origami Group (Blanchard Room), 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• February 17: Black History Celebration (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. Meet authors JaNay Brown-Wood, Nikki Shannon Smith, Yvette Franklin and Tamara Shiloh. Join us for a discussion and book reading, followed by a book signing and sales.
• February 17: Yolo County Master Gardeners (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• February 19: Aguas Frescas Series (Blanchard Room), 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. February’s project is paper flowers.
• February 20: Chinese Film Series (Blanchard Room): The Third Way of Love, 6:00 p.m. This 2015 romance film is a love story of Lin Qi Zheng (Song Seung-Heon), who is from a rich family, and Zhou Yu (Yifei Liu) who is a smart and beautiful lawyer. Films are screened in Chinese with English subtitles.
• February 23: Catch-a-Beat (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. Enjoy stories of music, dance, and world cultures told through movement in a fabulous program by performer Tina Rogers.
• February 24: Family Movie (Blanchard Room), 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
• February 24: Year Round Kitchen Gardening (Small Conference Room), 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• February 25: Youth Empowerment Summit (YES!) Planning Meeting (Small Conference Room), 3:30 p.m. Get involved with planning this year's Youth Empowerment Summit. We are putting together an event to get teens ready to vote and learn how to have a politically active voice in their community. Meeting intended for high school teens. Those who join will receive volunteer credit for attending and sharing ideas.
• February 27: Financial Literacy Series: Preparing Taxes (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. 2018 saw the largest overhaul of the U.S. tax code in decades, affecting the way millions of Americans will file in the coming years. This seminar provides basic information for filing your personal tax return, along with details on updates that may impact you. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• February 28: Davis Library Book Group (Small Conference Room), 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Behold the Dreamers by Mbue Imbolo.
The following ongoing programs continue in February:
• Computer Help: Mondays at 1:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m., and 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.; Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.; Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.; Fridays at 3:30 p.m.; and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. Drop-in English writing and grammar homework help for school-aged children. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 750-9139.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• 3D Printing: Print three-dimensional objects on the Library’s printer. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Three-hour slots are by appointment only but may be booked back-to-back for larger files.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• Homework Help Center: Free one-on-one homework help in English, social studies, math and sciences for elementary, middle, and high school courses. Volunteers provided by Davis High School and UC Davis Pediatric Education, Advocacy and Development Society (PEADS). Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room. For youth ages 5-18.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. in the Blanchard Room. For children ages 0-2.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Children’s Activity Room.
• Davis Library Book Group: Fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 故 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5.
• Discover India: Fourth Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m.
• Yolo County Master Gardeners: Third Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
The following programs will be held during the month of February at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• February 9: Catch-a-Beat, 11:00 a.m. Enjoy stories of music, dance, and world cultures told through movement in a fabulous program by performer Tina Rogers.
• February 16: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• February 29: Craft-er-Nite, 7:00 p.m. Take inspiration from Pinterest and YouTube in this hands-on program for adults. Learn a new craft or share your own expertise. We will lead participants in a new project each session. This program meets monthly on the last Tuesday of the month. February’s craft project is junk journaling.
NOTICE: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed on February 18 for Presidents’ Day.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.