The CalFresh program provides monthly benefits to help low-income individuals or families purchase healthy and nutritious food. 

For new applications, contact the Intake Call Center: 1-866-226-5415
Para solicitudes nuevas, llame el Centro de llamadas: 1-866-226-5415

For continuing cases, contact the Continuing Benefits Center: 1-855-278-1594
Para casos continuos, llame el Centro de Beneficios Continuos: 1-855-278-1594


Apply online for Medi-Cal and CalFresh (food stamps) at

For application assistance or any other local resource help dial 211 or visit 2-1-1 Yolo here.


CalFresh benefits are provided to eligible, low-income “households.” A household can be one person, a group of people, a family, or any combination of people that buy and prepare food together. Children living with their parents are considered part of the same household until age 22.

Many legal non-citizens are eligible for CalFresh benefits.  Even if you can’t get CalFresh benefits for yourself, other members of your household may be eligible.

Benefits are based on household size and household income, with deductions allowed for certain expenses such as housing.

**If you meet the criteria for "Expedited Service" (it is determined that you need food assistance immediately), you may be able to get CalFresh assistance within 3 days of submitting your application. 


  1. What is the amount of CalFresh benefits I could receive?

    The amount of CalFresh benefits is determined by a number of factors.  The number of persons in your home and your household income are both factors.  There are allowable deductions.          

  2. What foods can I buy with my EBT card?
    • Breads, cereals, fruit, meats, fish, poultry
    • Seeds and plants to produce food
    • You cannot buy beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, tobacco, soap, paper products, household supplies, vitamins, medicines, or food that will be eaten in the store or is already prepared. 
  3. How will I know if my application has been approved?

    You will be notified by mail about the approval of your application, including information about what your monthly benefits will be if approved.

  4. How do I get my CalFresh benefits? 
    • Your benefits will be available every month on a plastic electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card.
    • You will be sent an EBT card, or you can pick it up in the office where you applied for CalFresh. You will be able to select a secret code (Personal Identification Number-PIN).
    • With the EBT card and your secret code, you will be able to access your CalFresh benefits at any grocery store that has a Point of Sales (POS) device with the Quest logo. 
  5. Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to receive CalFresh benefits?

    No.  Certain non-citizens, such as those admitted for humanitarian reasons, those admitted for permanent residence, honorably discharged U.S. veterans, many children, elderly immigrants, and individuals who have been working in the United States for certain periods of time, are eligible for CalFresh. Even if you are not eligible yourself, other members of your household may be eligible.

    CalFresh benefits are NOT considered a public charge. Receiving CalFresh benefits will not affect your immigration status, application for a green card, or application for U.S. citizenship.

  6. I am a student.Am I eligible for CalFresh?

    Students may be eligible to receive CalFresh. Students between the ages of 18 and 49, who are enrolled at least half-time, must meet any one of the following criteria in order to be potentially eligible for CalFresh:  

    • Working at least 20 hours per week and getting paid for it
    • Approved for some kinds of work study programs
    • Participating in an on-the-job training program
    • Receiving CalWORKS benefits
    • Exerting parental control over a child under age 6
    • Exerting parental control over a child between age 6 and 12, and no childcare services are available
    • Exerting parental control over a child under age 12 and are a single parent attending school full time


  7. If I am receiving SSI/SSP, can I also receive CalFresh benefits?  

    If you are receiving SSI/SSP, you cannot receive CalFresh benefits in California. However, other members of your household may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits. 

  8. What happens if I use all my CalFresh benefits and run out of food? 
    • You cannot be issued additional CalFresh benefits during the month.
    • Visit the Department of Employment and Social Services (DESS) for information about food banks and other resources in Yolo County. 
  9. What if I lose my EBT card?

    Your EBT card can be replaced at a DESS office, or you can order a new card by calling Customer Service at 1-877-328-9677.

  10. What if I disagree with an action taken by the County?

    You have the right to appeal any decision made by the county including how your benefits were computed and any action to discontinue your benefits. Instructions for filing an appeal can be found on the back of any Notice of Action, or you can call 1-800-952-5253 (TDD call 1-800-952-8349).

For information regarding family planning, click here.

Contact Us 

WOODLAND                                  WEST SACRAMENTO
25 N. Cottonwood Street                   500-A Jefferson Blvd., Suite 100
Woodland, CA 95695                       W. Sacramento, CA 95605
530-661-2750 or 1-866-226-5415          916-375-6200 or 1-866-226-5415 

 Days and Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm