Communicable Disease (CD) Investigation and Control

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Report a Disease link to more informaiton

Business Hours: Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm (530) 666-8645, FAX (530) 669-1549
After Business Hours 24/7 contact the MHOAC at (530) 321-3620
Yolo County Health and Human Services, Community Health Branch
Bauer Building, 137 N. Cottonwood, Woodland, CA 95695

Communicable Disease Investigation

Yolo County staff investigate individual reports of highly contagious, or communicable disease and take whatever steps are necessary to control outbreaks in the community.  These staff ensure that the affected person and their close personal contacts are treated as necessary, develop programs to prevent future disease outbreaks, provide public and professional education and collaborate with other organizations at the State and Local level to control the spread of disease.

 Once a reportable disease is reported, an investigation is started to:

  • Confirm the diagnosis and the original source of the disease
  • Verify the disease
  • Locate affected persons
  • Provide affected persons with information about the disease
  • Look for any common mode of transmission between affected persons
  • Provide affected persons and the public, if necessary, with information about the disease, including: symptoms, how diagnosis is confirmed, how the disease is spread, and how to prevent it.

Sometimes Communicable Disease staff work with other agency staff to control or stop an outbreak. For example, cases involving a restaurant or day care facility will require coordination response between the Communicable Disease staff and Environmental Health.

Disease Information

A complete list of reportable disease can be found HERE.

Yolo County Communicable Disease Unit offers additional information on the following diseases: 

 Additional services provided by the Yolo County Health and Human Services Agency that you may also be interested in include:


Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • I don't want to involve my steady partner in this because I don't want to break up. Do I need to tell (or have someone from HHSA notify) him or her?

  • What if my partner(s) dn't live in Yolo County or even California?

  • How do I know which, if any, of my partner(s) may have been exposed to an STD or HIV?

  • Can't I just tell my partner(s) myself?

  • If I ask for help from HHSA, who from the agency will notify my partner(s)?

  • If I alwasy use protection (condoms/clean needles or works), why do I need testing?

  • Will you tell my partner(s) that I gave their name?

  • I just got a call from someone at Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency. How do I know that this isn't a prank?