Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

FAQs are organized by category type. Please choose the appropriate category for your question below.

  • What do I do if I disagree with an action taken by the Health and Human Services Agency on my CalFresh case?

    You have the right to appeal any decision made by the county including how your benefits were computed and any action to discontinue your benefits. Instructions for filing an appeal can be found on the back of any Notice of Action, or you can call 1-800-952-5253 (TDD call 1-800-952-8349).
  • How do I get my CalFresh benefits?

    • Your benefits will be available every month on a plastic electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card.
    • You will be sent an EBT card, or you can pick it up in the office where you applied for CalFresh. You will be able to select a secret code (Personal Identification Number-PIN).
    • With the EBT card and your secret code, you will be able to access your CalFresh benefits at any grocery store that has a Point of Sales (POS) device with the Quest logo. 
  • Where can family members of people with an alcohol or drug problem get help?

    Contact Al-Anon at (888) 425-2666, help is provided for those concerned about someone with an alcohol or other drug problem.

  • What do I do if I lose my EBT card?

    Report a lost or stolen card immediately by calling EBT Customer Service at 1-877-328-9677.  You can have a new card issued by mail or you can pick up a new card in the HHSA offices located in Woodland and West Sacramento.
  • If I am receiving SSI/SSP, can I also receive CalFresh benefits?

    If you are receiving SSI/SSP, you cannot receive CalFresh benefits in California. However, other members of your household may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits. 
  • Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to receive CalFresh benefits?

    No.  Certain non-citizens, such as those admitted for humanitarian reasons, those admitted for permanent residence, honorably discharged U.S. veterans, many children, elderly immigrants, and individuals who have been working in the United States for certain periods of time, are eligible for CalFresh. Even if you are not eligible yourself, other members of your household may be eligible.

    CalFresh benefits are NOT considered a public charge. Receiving CalFresh benefits will not affect your immigration status, application for a green card, or application for U.S. citizenship.

  • I am a student. Am I eligible for CalFresh?

    Students may be eligible to receive CalFresh. Students between the ages of 18 and 49, who are enrolled at least half-time, must meet any one of the following criteria in order to be potentially eligible for CalFresh:  

    • Working at least 20 hours per week and getting paid for it
    • Approved for some kinds of work study programs
    • Participating in an on-the-job training program
    • Receiving CalWORKS benefits
    • Exerting parental control over a child under age 6
    • Exerting parental control over a child between age 6 and 12, and no childcare services are available
    • Exerting parental control over a child under age 12 and are a single parent attending school full time
  • How will I know if my application for CalFresh has been approved?

    You will be notified by mail about the approval of your application, including information about what your monthly benefits will be if approved.
  • What foods can I buy with my EBT card?

    • Breads, cereals, fruit, meats, fish, poultry
    • Seeds and plants to produce food

    • You cannot buy beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, tobacco, soap, paper products, household supplies, vitamins, medicines, or food that will be eaten in the store or is already prepared. 
  • What will my CalFresh benefit amount be?

    The amount of CalFresh benefits is determined by a number of factors.  The number of persons in your home and your household income are both factors.
  • Where do I get a Release of Information form?

    Speak to any staff member at the front desk to obtain a Release of Information (ROI) form.  

  • How long until I can get some medication?

    An initial prescription requires you to be seen by a physician, this could possibly take up to 15 days. However, an appointment may be available sooner based on individual needs as determined by our triage staff.

  • How long until I can see a doctor?

    The waiting period to see a doctor may take up to 15 days; however, an appointment could be available sooner depending on individual needs.

  • How do I submit a complaint, comment or compliment?

    We welcome your feedback.  

    Send us an email and it will be forwarded to the appropriate person to handle your complaint, comment, or compliment.  Click here to locate grievance and appeal forms. If you prefer to speak to someone personally, contact us at 530-666-8516 and your call will be directed appropriately.

  • Is there a cost for alcohol and other drug services?

    Yes, charges for alcohol and other services are based on a sliding fee scale. Many of our provider programs are funded by the Drug Medi-Cal program. All youth aged 12 years and older are eligible for Minor Consent Drug Medi-Cal; cost should not be a barrier to obtaining treatment.

  • How much do you charge for Mental Health services?

    Generally, charges for Mental Health services depend on a variety of factors. If you have Medi-Cal, there may be a charge based on your income; a financial assessment will be provided at your first appointment. If you have Medicare, check with your health plan for more information.
  • How do I find a clinic?

    Clinic locations and telephone numbers are:  

    Woodland Clinic
    137 N. Cottonwood Street, Suite 1500
    Woodland, CA 95695
    (530) 666-8630
    Monday - Friday; 8am to 5pm

    Davis Clinic
    600 A Street
    Davis, CA 95616
    (530) 757-5530
    Monday & Wednesday; 8am to 5pm

    West Sacramento Clinic
    500B Jefferson Blvd.
    West Sacramento, CA 95605
    (916) 375-6350
    Tuesday, Thursday & Friday; 8am to 5pm


  • How do I obtain medical records from ADMH?

    If you reside locally, a Release of Information Authorization/Request forms may be obtained at any of the Yolo County ADMH Clinics where staff is available to assist with completion of forms.

    If you are unable to make your request in person, Release of Information Authorization/Request forms may be obtained by calling the ADMH Records Custodian at (530) 666-9078. Incomplete information may delay processing. Before submitting your request it is important to review the form for completion, including:

    1) Personal identifying information of client, to include full name, date of birth and Social Security Number (last four digits are acceptable)
    2) Name, address and phone number of the individual or organization to which you want records released
    3) What the information will be used for
    4) Description of requested information
    5) Time period for the information being requested
    6) Initials where required
    7) Signature and date

  • How do I get a medication prescription or refill?

    • To get an initial prescription requires that you be seen by a physician. You must first contact ADMH’s 24 Hour Toll Free Access Line at (888) 965-6647 for screening and a referral, if appropriate.
    • To get a refill, contact the pharmacy that filled your prescription to see if any refills remain on your current prescription.
    • To get a prescription updated or renewed, you must contact the medical staff at the clinic which provided the prescription.  Call (530) 666-8630 to schedule an appointment.
  • How do I make or change an appointment?

    If you are an existing client, call (530) 666-8630 to make or change an appointment.  If you have never been seen by ADMH, contact our 24 Hour Toll Free Access Line at (888) 965-6647.

  • How do I get services for an alcohol or drug problem for myself or a loved one?

    • The Yolo County Alcohol & Drug Program is primarily an administrative office that contracts with local community based organizations to provide alcohol and drug prevention, treatment, and recovery services to the community.
    • If you think you or someone you know might have an alcohol or drug problem, you can contact ADMH's 24 Hour Toll Free Access Line (888) 965-6647 for assistance in locating a service provider in your area. You can also find information about our Alcohol and Drug Service Providers by clicking here  
  • How do I get mental health services for myself or a loved one?

    If you have never been seen by ADMH, contact our 24 Hour Toll Free Access Line at (888) 965-6647 or Monday - Friday between the ours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, call 530-666-8630 for information. 

  • How do I get help for someone having a mental health crisis?

    There are three possibilities:

    (1) If the crisis places anyone in immediate danger, call 911.
    (2) If the crisis does not involve immediate danger, and if the person in crisis has insurance coverage through a health plan, call the health plan to get a referral to a covered mental health provider.
    (3) For all others, call ADMHS’ 24 Hour Toll Free Access Line at (888) 965-6647. The call is toll free, and someone will answer to assist you 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
  • How do I know if my car seat is installed correctly?

    In order to install a car seat correctly read both the car seat manual and the child restraint section of your vehicle’s owner manual.  The car seat should move no more than 1” side to side or front to back where the seat belt or the LATCH belt runs through the car seat.  If you are unsure of the fit, schedule an appointment with a certified child passenger safety technician at the Yolo County Health Department by contacting Keri Hess, 530-666-8561.


  • What do I do with a car seat that is no longer being used?

    The Yolo County Health and Human Services Agency has a car seat recycling program.
  • What is the best car seat for my child?

    The best car seat for your child is a car seat that fits your child (check for height and weight limits), fits the car, and the one that you can install properly every time. Not all car seats are compatible with all cars.

    Some stores will allow you to test the car seat in your car prior to purchasing. Ask a sales associate if this is allowable in order to assure the car seat fits in your car. 

  • When will my child be out of a car seat?

    California law says that children must sit in a car seat until age 8 or 4’9”.  However, children should remain in their booster seats until the seat belt fits them appropriately.  Check out the five step test to see if your child is ready to sit with just the seat belt. 

    5 Steps

  • Where is the safest place for my child in the car?

    California state law requires children under the age of 8 to be in a car seat in the back seat of the car. 

    It is recommended that children sit in the backseat until age 12. 

    The center is the safest seating position for your child; however children in booster seats and children wearing a seat belt must be seated with a lap and shoulder belt). 

    If you have more than one child or the car seat does not install safely in the center position neither outboard position is safer than the other.  Also, take into account that rear facing seats require more room and cannot touch the back of the front seat so if the driver cannot drive comfortably or safely with their seat pushed forward put the car seat on the opposite side of the driver.

  • When can I turn my baby forward-facing?

    California passed a new law that goes into effect in January 2017.  All children under the age of 2 and less than 40 lbs must sit rear-facing in the car.  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children sit rear-facing to the maximum height and weight limits of the seat.  Check the labels on your car seat or the car seat’s manual to determine the maximums for height and weight.  Rear-facing cradles the head and neck in a crash and is five times safer than forward facing. 
  • Which method is safer, a seat belt installation or a LATCH instillation?

    Neither method is safer than the other.  Try both types of installation with your car seat to see which installation gets you the best fit.  DO NOT use both. Also, LATCH installation usually has a weight limit of 65lbs combining the weight of the seat and the weight of the child.  Refer to your car seat manual for more information on your car seat’s LATCH weight limits.

  • What do I need to bring to my WIC certification appointment?

    For certification appointments you are required to bring:

    • proof of household gross income,
    • proof of current address,
    • identification for the person being certified (license, IZ card, birth certificate, etc) and
    • the person being certified must attend the appointment.

    If you receive MediCal you may bring that card as proof of income eligibility.

    You also need to bring the medical referral slip that includes height/weight information and hemoglobin/hematocrit (bloodwork) results and completed nutrition questionnaire.

    If you do not know what documents are needed or are missing some items, please call WIC and a staff member would be happy to tell you what you need to bring or if you should still attend your appointment.

  • How do I make a WIC appointment?

    Call our main office at 530-666-8445 to schedule an appointment. If you’ve been on WIC before it helps to have you Social Security or Medi-Cal number ready.
  • Do my children need to come to the WIC class?

    No, children don’t need to be there for class, but you are welcome to bring them!
  • How do I know if I can stay on WIC?

    A recertification will be done by a WIC staff to check if you or your child are still eligible for WIC eligible. You will need to bring the following documents during the recertification:

    • The medical form filled out by your doctor
    • Proof of your gross income
    • Proof of your current address
    • Identification
    • Completed nutrition questionnaire
    • The person being certified
  • How long can I stay on WIC?

    When income and medical guidelines are met,


    • who are breastfeeding may stay until one year after your baby is born.
    • who are not breastfeeding may stay until six months after your baby is born.

    Infants and children:

    • stay on WIC until the child reaches his or her fifth birthday.
  • How long will my WIC appointment take?

    It depends on what type of appointment it is and how busy we are. Enrollments of new participants and babies take 1-1.5 hours. Classes and recertification usually take 30 minutes. Having all of your paperwork filled out before you come in will make your appointment faster.
  • I can't remember when my next WIC appointment is, what should I do?

    Your next appointment should be written on the back of your WIC folder. If not, give us a call and we’ll look it up for you.

    (530) 666-8445.

  • I didn't get the blood test done yet, can I still come to my appointment?

    Yes! We will give you more time to get the blood work results, but please make an appointment to do so as soon as possible.
  • I'm moving, what do I do?

    If you're going to move out of state, ask a WIC staff for transfer information BEFORE you move.
  • What happens during WIC Appointments

    You will either see a counselor for certification who will suggest healthy eating choices for you and your child or attend a nutrition class with other WIC participants.
  • What if I can't make my WIC appointment or miss it?

    Please call us to reschedule if you can’t make your appointment or missed one. Remember, you can send an alternate for most types of appointments (parent will need to be present for enrollments and recertification). You can now complete nutrition education for children online at your convenience.
  • What if I change my name, address, or phone number?

    If there are any changes to your name, address, or phone number, please contact a WIC staff memeber to update your information in the WIC database.

    (530) 666-8445

  • How do I test the paint for lead?

    Painted surfaces that your child has chewed, or woodwork in your child's room, are good areas to test. Woodwork, such as doors, windows, or trim will often have high levels of lead in the paint. Any area that is peeling is also a good choice. Any room you want to remodel should also be tested before work is started.
    Samples from different areas should be kept separate.

    Use a knife to scrape sections of paint, at least the size of a quarter, down to the bare wood or plaster. Do not take the wood or plaster with your sample or your paint results will not be accurate.

    Put the samples in clean, ordinary plastic bags. With a permanent marker, write where you got the sample on the bag.

    Send the samples to a lab certified by the California Department of Health Services. A list of certified labs is available from the Yolo County Health Department.
  • What do I do if my home has been painted with lead based paint?

    There are many dangers involved in removing lead paint from your home. Every member of your family can be poisoned if removal is done incorrectly. There are three ways to make the lead paint in your home less dangerous. The first two are the safest ways to handle lead paint. They should be considered first.

    Replace ItReplace it.
    Replacing a lead painted object means removing the object from the house and replacing it with a new, lead-free item. For example, a door may be removed by its hinges and replaced with a new safe door. Do not burn any lead-painted item you remove from your home. Wrap the item in heavy plastic and keep it away from your children. This takes the lead out of your home and it does not create a lot of lead dust.

    Cover ItCover it.

    It is best to cover surfaces that cannot be replaced, such as walls or floors, with a long lasting, tough material like sheetrock, paneling, or floor tiles. Because covering does not get the lead paint out of your home, walls or floors that are newly covered must be kept in good condition. Repainting with new paint or hanging wallpaper is not a permanent method of covering lead paint. If the new paint or wallpaper peels, the lead paint will be exposed again.

    Remove it.

    Sanding, burning, or scraping lead paint is the most dangerous way of removing lead paint! This makes large amounts of lead dust or fumes which can poison workers, household members, and pets.


    • Pregnant women, children, and family pets should not be present when this type of work is being done. Only those who are working should be in the home and the work area should be sealed off from the rest of the house with heavy plastic and tape.
    • A special respirator should be worn by the people removing the paint to prevent lead dust from being inhaled. There are two precautions to follow before using a respirator:
      have your respirator professionally fitted
      • use a respirator only with a doctor's advice
      • Do not eat, drink, chew gum, or smoke in the work area.
        Outdoor work should not be done on a windy day because the lead dust may poison workers and neighbors.
    • Use a drop cloth to catch and contain any paint chips.
    • Never sand, burn, scrape, or use paint remover with methylene chloride on lead paint. All paint removers are hazardous. Follow the instructions printed on the label.
    • Test the paint in any area you plan to remodel before you begin the work.

    These are just a few of the precautions that need to be followed. If these and others are not followed, lead poisoning may occur. Before you begin this type of project, call the Yolo County Health Department to find out how to make this type of project as safe as possible.

  • How does the lead get from the paint into my child?

    Over many years, painted surfaces crumble into household dust. This dust clings to toys, fingers, and other objects that children normally put into their mouths. This is the most common way that lead gets into your child. Children also get lead into their bodies by chewing on lead painted surfaces. Some young children eat paint that is peeling or chipping.
  • How much lead is too much?

    The danger from lead paint depends on:

    Amount of LeadThe amount of lead in the painted surface

    Condition of PaintThe condition of the paint

    Amount in ChildThe amount of paint that gets into your child

    Lead levels in paint are measured in parts per million (ppm). The greater amount of lead in paint, the higher the ppm number. The federal government currently allows 600 ppm of lead in household paint. 5,000 ppm or over is a high amount of lead in paint. If paint is peeling or chipping, a child can easily eat it during normal play.

  • Why is lead in paint?

    Lead is used to make paint last longer. The amount of lead in paint was reduced in 1950 and further reduced again in 1978. Houses built before 1950 are very likely to contain lead paint while houses built after 1950 will have less lead in the paint. House paint sold today has very low levels of lead. Lead-based paint is the most common source of lead poisoning in children.
  • Can lead hurt my child?

    Yes, it can. Lead can harm virtually every system in the human body. Lead is particularly harmful to the developing brain and nervous system of fetuses and young children. Children who have lead poisoning can get very sick. Children can get sick if they eat lead paint or breathe lead in dust. Children who get sick from lead may have trouble learning in school.
  • How do children get lead poisoning?

    The most common cause of lead poisoning is from the lead paints that were used in the 1970's and earlier. Lead is also in dust, soil, water, food, and in the air.

    Children can get lead poisoning:

    • by putting hands or toys with lead dust on them in their mouths.
    • when contaminated tap water (from lead pipes) is used to make baby formula.
    • by playing in dirt contaminated by lead.
    • from certain home remedies, "health foods", imported candies and cosmetics.
    • by eating the lead paint chips that peel off walls.
    • by chewing on window sills and door frames.
  • How do I know if my child has lead poisoning?

    In most cases there are no visible symptoms of elevated blood-lead levels or lead poisoning. Most children who have lead poisoning do not look or act sick.

    The only way to know if your child has lead poisoning is for the child to get a blood test for lead. Talk to your child’s health care provider.

  • Who should get a blood-lead test?

    • Children age 12 months and 24 months who are enrolled in publicly funded health care such as Medi-Cal, Child Health and Disability Program (CHDP), the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), or Healthy Families are at high risk and should be tested. Cost for the test is covered by government health programs and most health insurance plans.
    • Children enrolled in publicly-funded health care who are between 24 months and 6 years old that have not been tested at the appropriate times.
    • Children in Head Start Preschool are required to have a blood lead test for enrollment.
    • Young children under six years of age who spend time in homes, childcare centers, or buildings built before 1978 that have chipping or peeling paint should be tested.
      Any infant or child who is thought to be at risk or comes in contact with items that may contain lead should be tested.
    • If you don't have a doctor, The Yolo County Children's Health Initiative can assist you. Just call (530) 757-5558 or visit http://www.yolohealthykids.org/ . The staff will help you to find the best health insurance for your child.
  • Where is testing for blood-lead levels available? How much does testing cost?

    Your private physician or health care clinic can test for blood-lead levels. Many private insurance policies cover the cost of testing for blood-lead levels. The cost of a blood-lead test generally ranges from $10 to $75, plus the charge for an office visit. If you have Medi-Cal or if you are in the Child Health and Disability Prevention Program (CHDP), the test is free.
  • Is there a cure for lead poisoning?

    Except for severely poisoned children, there is no medical treatment for this disease. Available treatments slowly reduce the level of lead present in the body. The only way to prevent continued lead poisoning is to remove the source of exposure. Removing the lead from a person's environment helps to ensure a decline in blood-lead levels. The longer a person is exposed to lead, the greater the likelihood that damage to the person's health will result.
  • Should pregnant woment be concerned about lead poisoning?

    Lead can be passed from the pregnant woman to the fetus, so women should take steps to ensure that they do not have excessive lead exposure during pregnancy. Specifically, pregnant women should not:

    • engage in any activity that disturbs lead-based paint.
    • live in or be present in a house or apartment where work is under way that disturbs lead-based paint.
    • return to a house or apartment where lead-based paint has been disturbed until at least 24 hours after the work has been completed.
  • What can I do to protect my family from lead poisoning?

    • Have your children tested for lead at 12 and 24 months.
    • Keep children away from peeling paint. If your home was built before 1978, and you have peeling paint, call the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) lead information line at 1-800-424-LEAD or visit http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/.
    • Wash children's hands before they eat, after they play outdoors and before they go to sleep. Wash your hands before preparing food.
    • Wet mop floors, and wipe furniture, window sills and other dusty surfaces.
    • Don't let children play under bridges or near highways and heavily traveled roads.
    • Serve meals that are high in iron and calcium to help prevent lead from being absorbed into your children's bodies.
    • Run cold water for at least a minute before using. Never use hot water from the faucet to make baby formula or for cooking.
    • For testing water, call the Department of Environmental Protection 1-800-426-4791 or visit http://www.epa.gov/safewater/.
  • I live in an apartment. Does my landlord have responsiblity to remove lead-based paint from my apartment?

    If you have a child under six who has a blood level of 20ug/dL or more, your landlord may be required to take certain actions. Laws and regulations vary according to the jurisdiction in which you live.
  • I live in a public housing project. Does the housing authority have to do anything about lead-based paint?

    If you live in a development which was built before 1978, the housing authority should have given you a brochure telling you that the property may contain lead-based paint. The brochure describes the hazards of lead-based paint, the symptoms and treatment of lead poisoning, and the advisability and availability of blood-lead levels screening for children under seven years of age. If your child has an elevated blood-lead level of 20 ug/dL or more, the housing authority must test your apartment within five days after being notified by your doctor of your child's high blood-lead level. If lead-based paint is found during testing the housing authority must treat those surfaces within 14 days. If the housing authority is unable to treat the hazardous surfaces, then the housing authority must either move your family into a unit that was previously treated or one that was built after 1978.
  • Where can I find more information about specific diseases?

  • What diseases have been reported in Yolo County in the past?

  • Is someone available to answer communicable disease questions?

    Yolo County Health Department staff is available for consultation and to answer questions related to communicable disease during business hours by calling 530-666-8645.
  • What if my patient is not a resident of Yolo County?

    If the patient was examined or treated in Yolo County, then report to the Yolo County Health Department as required in Title 17 of the California Code of Regulations. Local health departments in California routinely forward the reports to the appropriate jurisdiction as needed.
  • Should I wait for lab confirmation before reporting a disease?

    For diseases that require an immediate public health response (e.g., measles), DO NOT WAIT TO REPORT – REPORT THESE DISEASES AS SOON AS THEY ARE SUSPECTED. Unusual illnesses or illnesses that may be related to an outbreak or bioterrorism should also be reported as soon as they are identified. For all other diseases where an immediate public health response is not required (e.g., sexually transmitted diseases, hepatitis C), report when diagnosis is confirmed.
  • Don't labs report all these disease anyway?

    NO! Title 17 requires health care providers to submit a Confidential Morbidity Report (CMR) for all reportable diseases, regardless of whether or not it is also reported by the lab. Labs are only required to report a subset of diseases. Additionally, labs often lack demographic information, risk information, and a clinical interpretation of the lab results all of which are required for an appropriate public health response.
  • How does the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) affect disease reporting?

    HIPAA does not preclude disease reporting and, in fact, makes special allowances for the transfer of Public Health Information (PHI) to the local health authority.
  • How quickly must disease be reported?

    Refer to the back (page 2) of the Confidential Morbidity Report for required deadlines. In general, any disease that may require an immediate public health response (e.g., measles) must be called in ASAP 24/7. Other diseases may be reported by Confidential Morbidity Report (CMR) within one working day or within one week according to page two of the CMR.
  • Why must health care providers report?

    Failure to report a reportable disease is a citable offense for health care providers. However, this is not and should not be the primary motivating factor for reporting. Health care providers are the first and only line of defense in recognizing emerging public health issues. The window of opportunity afforded by early reporting directly impacts the effectiveness of any public health response. Reporting of other diseases (e.g., sexually transmitted diseases, hepatitis C) also directly determines federal and state funds that communities may receive for prevention, treatment and case management.
  • Who must report dieases?

    According to Title 17 of the California Code of Regulations, health care providers include physicians, podiatrists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses, nurse midwives, school nurses, infection control practitioners, medical examiners, coroners, veterinarians and dentists. These health care providers are required to report certain diseases to the local health authority. Title 17, Section 2500 describes reportable disease requirements in detail (refer to 'What is the Legal Basis for Reporting in California' FAQ above.)
  • What diseases must be reported?

    A current listing of all California reportable diseases and conditions can be found here.
  • What is the legal basis for diease reporting in California?

    Disease reporting requirements have been set forth by the California Legislature in Title 17 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR). Title 17 requires that health care providers report certain diseases to the local health authority using the Confidential Morbidity Report (CMR).

    CCR Title 17, Section 2500 describes reportable disease requirements in detail and is available ONLINE. Click on Title 17 Public Health, Chapter 4, Preventive Medical Services, Article 1, Reporting, and see Sections 2500-2511. For HIV non-name reporting, see Section 2641.5, and for Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders, see Sections 2800-2812.

  • How do I become a foster parent?

    If you are interested in becoming a foster care provider, you can contact the Foster and Kinship Care Education Program at (530)661-5772 or (530)574-1964.  The program provides support, education and training for foster parents.  There is also more information about foster parenting on the Child Welfare Services page under the Employment and Social Services department on this web site.
  • Where do I apply for CalFresh (formerly food stamps) or Medi-Cal?

    Visit Health and Human Services in Woodland at 25 N. Cottonwood Street (530/661-2750) or in West Sacramento at 500-A Jefferson Blvd. (916/375-6200) between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm.  Pick up an application packet, fill it out and register your application with us.  You will be given an appointment to meet with an eligibility staff member.  You will also be given a list of items to bring to that appointment.

    To access an on-line application for Medi-Cal or CalFresh (formerly food stamps) click here. Haga clic aquí para aplicar.

  • What is the One-Stop Career Center?

    The One-Stop Career Centers provide services and equipment to assist community members who are seeking employment.  All members of the public are welcome to use the One-Stop Career Centers.  There are two locations:  DESS at 25 N. Cottonwood Street (530/661-2641) in Woodland or at 500-A Jefferson Blvd. (916/375-6307) in West Sacramento.  When visiting a Center, you will be registered and given a tour of the services offered and equipment available.  You can also receive assistance with a variety of job search activities.
  • How do I request services?

    You may request services in person or by phone at any of our three clinics.

    • Woodland: 137 N. Cottonwood Street, Suite 1500, Woodland; telephone 530/666-8630.
    • West Sacramento: 500B Jefferson, Suite 150, West Sacramento; telephone 916/375-6350.
    • Davis: 600 A Street, Davis; telephone: 530/757-5530.