Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
August Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – Summer fun continues this August at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library. All are welcome to participate in the following special programs at the library which is located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento.
• Summer Reading Program 2018: Reading Takes You Everywhere, May 20 - August 18: Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read for 10 days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long. (All game boards must be turned in by August 18 to participate in the prize drawing.)
• Read off Your Fines, May 20 - August 18: The Read Off Your Fines campaign will be held in conjunction with the Summer Reading Program. Young adults and children (ages 17 and under) will be able to deduct $1.00 from their fines for every 15 minutes spent reading a book of their choice in the library and also use those minutes toward earning incentives in the Summer Reading Program.
• August 2: Fair Housing Pop-Up Clinic, 4:00 p.m. Join us for a free pop-up housing clinic outside the Community Room. Learn more about fair housing laws as well as the most recent developments in related topics such as: sexual harassment, criminal history protections, racial discrimination, disability, and new state-protected categories. Come with questions.
• August 9 & 23: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• August 11: Reading Takes You Everywhere, 10:00 a.m. Come wrap up the end of summer by taking pictures around the world in our green-screen photo booths. You will be able to choose different backgrounds and take home your “travel” memories.
• August 12: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title at (916) 375-6465.
• August 13: Love on a Leash, 10:00 a.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• August 13 & 27: YCCA & WIOA, 2:00 p.m. Yolo County Children’s Alliance and the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA) are currently looking for Yolo County Residents (ages 16-24) who are not currently enrolled in school (adult education is okay) and who are experiencing barriers to employment. Low income, foster youth, homeless, disabled, pregnant or parenting, high-school drop outs, and those with experience in the justice system are encouraged to attend. Get the support you need to work towards your educational and employment goals.
• August 15: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• August 15 & 29: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided.
• August 15: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be Sue Grafton’s “alphabet series,” A-Y. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• August 18: Local Author Series: Janelle Hanchett, 3:00 p.m. Please join us for a presentation by local author Janelle Hanchett as she discusses her book I’m Just Happy to Be Here: A Chronicle of Renegade Mothering. The author’s work speaks with warmth and wit to those who feel like outsiders in parenthood and life. She recounts how one grows to accept an imperfect self in an imperfect life and to embrace parenthood.
• August 26: Teen Anime Afternoon, 2:00 p.m. Teens (ages 12-18) are invited to watch the anime of their choosing at the library. Free popcorn while supplies last.
• August 27: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• August 29: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: email@example.com for more information.
• August 31: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong Part XXXII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXXII, we will continue to learn the twelve Yijin Jing qigong exercises. Two new movements will be taught in each session. These movements are recognized as a set of exercises for healing and well-being in Chinese medicine. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
The following ongoing programs continue in August:
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Lunch at the Library: Monday through Friday at 12:00 p.m., through August 10. Join us for free summer meals at the library (ages 0-18). Lunch will be served from 12:00 p.m.to 1:00 p.m. with fun educational activities to follow.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.