Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
May Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – The following programs will be held during the month of May at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (APAHM): Join us in celebrating the achievements and contributions of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States. Check out our book display!
• May 4: Advance Placement Exam (AP) Study Hall, 5:30 p.m. Join your classmates and prepare for your AP exams. Basic study and reference materials will be provided for each of the major AP courses. For high school students (ages 13-18).
• May 5: Children’s Day in South Korea, 12:00 p.m. Children’s Day highlights the dignity of children and their need for love, care, and respect. Come celebrate with us.
• May 5: Block Party, 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• May 5: Teen Movie Night, 5:30 p.m. Join us for a blockbuster super-hero evening. Enjoy free popcorn while supplies last. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. Ages 13 -18 only.
• May 9: Financial Literacy Series: Auto Buying and Financing (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. Buying a new car can be difficult and stressful. Learn how to make the best auto shopping and financing decisions for your circumstances. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• May 11: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Come to the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• May 12: Whole Earth Festival, 10:00 a.m. Join us in celebrating Whole Earth Festival on the UC Davis campus. Visit our library book bike for great books, bubbles, prizes, and more!
• May 16: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. May’s project is button making.
• May 17: Introductory Computer Class (Special Topic), 10:30 a.m. Held on select Thursdays. Topics will include: Computers 101, Social Media, iPhones, Androids, the Microsoft Suite of programs, and Google Drive. Registration is required and will be limited to the first nine signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register.
• May 19: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• May 20 – August 18: Summer Reading Program 2018: Reading Takes You Everywhere! Sign up and get a free book. Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read for 10 days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long.
• May 20 – August 18. Read off Your Fines!: This year, the Read Off Your Fines campaign will be held in conjunction with the Summer Reading Program. Young adults and children (ages 17 and under) will be able to deduct $1.00 from their fines for every 15 minutes spent reading a book of their choice in the library and also use those minutes toward earning incentives in the Summer Reading Program.
• May 20: Davis Pride, 10:00 a.m. Celebrate LGBTQIA Pride with us at Central Park. Visit our library book bike for great books, bubbles, prizes, and more!
• May 20: Teen Advisory Group (Teen Space), 1:00 p.m. Join us in the teen space and learn how to get involved and make a difference at your library. Each month we meet to discuss special topics to plan and implement teen programs, volunteer opportunities, community projects to organize, and much more. No experience necessary. Snacks provided. Ages 13-18.
• May 20: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• May 23: WWI Series Part 3: LEST WE FORGET - Over There, 6:00 p.m. Yolo County starts its 2nd year of war and Davis citizens are asked to commit more to the war effort. Come learn the story of, and commemorate, all those from the Davis area who served, both at home and abroad, in the “War to End All Wars.”
• May 24: Tuleyome Lecture Series: Other Snakes of California, 6:30 p.m. Join herpetologist Brian Todd and learn about what snakes occupy the landscapes of California, how they impact the environment, and how to identify them.
• May 24: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa.
• May 27: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• May 27: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is held on the last Sunday of each month.
The following ongoing programs continue in May:
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Computer Help: Thursdays at 1:00 p.m., Saturdays at 10:00 a.m., and Sundays at 1:00 p.m.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• Davis Youth Literacy: Mondays at 3:45 p.m. (Small Conference Room). Free English grammar and homework tutoring. One-on-one sessions and reading analysis book groups available. For ages 8-14.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday at 1:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2.
• PJ Story Time: Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. For children ages 3-5.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Maker Kids: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children ages 8-12.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of May at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• May 5: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• May 19: Terrific Teeth, 11:00 a.m. VN CARES presents an exciting program supporting dental hygiene for kids. Each child will get to make and take home a sand timer.
NOTICE: All Yolo County Library branches will be closed on May 28, in observance of Memorial Day.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.