Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
April Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of April at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• Library Bingo, through April 30. Adults are invited to read, connect and discover by playing Library Bingo. Free cards will be available in English and Spanish at any Yolo County Library branch and also online through the library’s website. After completing five consecutive squares in any direction (horizontal, vertical or diagonal), return the card to the library to be in a drawing to receive a prize. The more cards you do, the more chances you have of winning! Cards must be turned in by May 6.
• April 1 through April 14: In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For every 5 books a child reads, he/she will receive a “Cover to Cover” Achievement Award, qualifying the participant for a free hamburger or cheeseburger at any In-N-Out Burger restaurant. Each participant may receive up to 3 certificates.
• April 2 & 30: Multi-Sensory Story Time, 12:00 p.m. Children (ages 1-5) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for an inclusive story time that will focus on children with special sensory needs. Story time will include adapted books and sensory toys.
• April 4: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:30 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: email@example.com for more information.
• April 6, 13, 20 & 27: I SEE YOU, 1:00 p.m. I SEE YOU is a YoloArts project funded by a grant from the James Irvine Foundation’s Exploring Engagement Fund. The project seeks to increase community engagement through the arts among people experiencing homelessness in Yolo County, while raising awareness for participants throughout the region by saying I SEE YOU.
• April 7 & 14: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturday), 8:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Saturday through April 14 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• April 7 & 21: Tech Help 1-On-1, 11:00 a.m. If you have a question about your laptop, tablet or phone, bring it in to get answers. If you have a general technology problem, you can get help using our library laptops or tablets. Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• April 7: Aguas Frescas Y Loteria, 3:00 p.m. Everyone is invited to enjoy a game of “Loteria” and a cup of fresh aguas frescas. There are prizes! All ages welcome.
• April 8 through April 14: National Library Week! Join us in celebration of the contributions of our nation’s libraries and to promote library use and support for all patrons. Bring your family to take a free “I Love My Library” picture. A digital copy will be sent to you via email.
• April 8 & 15: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:30 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• April 9: California Telephone Access Program: iPhone Training, 12:30 p.m. Learn how to use your iPhone device to its full potential. All ages welcome. Register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• April 9: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• April 11, & 25 Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on developing leadership skills through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided.
• April 12 & 26: Tech Help 1-On-1, 3:00 p.m. If you have a question about your laptop, tablet or phone, bring it in to get answers. If you have a general technology problem, you can get help using our library laptops or tablets. Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• April 12 & 26: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• April 16: S.T.E.A.M.ing Mad: Packing Eggs, 4:00 p.m. Can you package an egg so it won’t break? It’s all in the packing. Are you up to the challenge? Prizes to those who succeed. Great for tweens and teens.
• April 18: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• April 18: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Distance Between Us by Reyna Grande. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• April 19: Teen Poetry Collage (Teen Room), 6:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-8) are invited to come and create an artistic poetry collage by using words from magazines. Snacks will be provided.
• April 21 & 22: West Sacramento Friends of the Library Book Sale. Hours are Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Paperbacks are $0.50 and hardbacks $1.00. Come for Bargain Sunday when books are $4-a-bag. All proceeds benefit programs and collections at the library. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• April 23: California Telephone Access Program: Android Training, 12:30 p.m. Learn how to use your Android device to its full potential. All ages welcome. Register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• April 23: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• April 27: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qi Gong Part XXVIII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXVIII, we shall continue to learn some of the training postures and warm-up exercises that are practiced in Tai Chi and Tai Chi Chuan. Coordinated breathing and mental concentration help to increase our body strength and the ability to have a better control of balance. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• April 28: Día de los Niños / Día de los Libros, 2:00 p.m. El día de los niños / El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day), commonly known as Día, is a celebration of children, families, and reading that culminates yearly on April 30. The celebration emphasizes the importance of literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
The following ongoing programs continue in April:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading in a thirty-minute session with an older “buddy.” After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book. Registration required.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. Questions? Contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
NOTICE: On April 16, all branches will be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.