Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
April Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – The following programs will be held during the month of April at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• In-N-Out Burger’s Cover to Cover Library Reading Program, through April 14. Children between the ages of 4 and 12 are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For additional details visit the library or call: (530) 757-5593.
• Library Bingo, through April 30. Adults are invited to read, connect and discover by playing Library Bingo. Free cards will be available in English and Spanish at any Yolo County Library branch and also online through the library’s website. After completing five consecutive squares in any direction (horizontal, vertical or diagonal), return the card to the library to be in a drawing to receive a prize. The more cards you do, the more chances you have of winning! Cards must be turned in by May 6.
• April 6, 7 & 8: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• April 7: Block Party, 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• April 7 & 14: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Teen Room), 10:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library (1099-INT, 1095-T). Note: walk-ins will not be accepted after 12:00 p.m. This free service is provided by the UC Davis VITA group.
• April 8 through April 14: National Library Week! Join us in celebration of the contributions of our nation’s libraries and to promote library use and support for all patrons.
• April 9: Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7: 00 p.m. This group helps prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• April 11: Financial Literacy Series: Path to Financial Success (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. From developing a spending plan that works to setting goals and weighing insurance needs, this presentation covers the core concepts necessary to develop and maintain personal financial control. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• April 13: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Come to the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• April 14: Día de los Niños / Día de los Libros, 11:00 a.m. This is a free, multicultural program for the whole family featuring storytelling and a special performance. Participate in fun activities and receive a FREE book!
• April 15: Teen Advisory Group (Teen Space), 1:00 p.m. Join us in the teen space and learn how to get involved and make a difference at your library. Every month we meet to discuss special topics to plan and implement teen programs, volunteer opportunities, community projects to organize, and much more. No experience necessary. Snacks provided. Ages 13-18.
• April 15: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• April 17 & 24: Transportation Options Awareness, 10:00 a.m. Learn about different transportation options so that you don’t have to drive.
• April 18: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and enjoy our homemade aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. April’s project is paint night.
• April 19: Introductory Computer Class (Special Topic), 10:30 a.m. Held on select Thursdays. Topics will include: Computers 101, Social Media, iPhones, Androids, the Microsoft Suite of programs and Google Drive. Registration is required and will be limited to the first nine signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register.
• April 19: Hour of Code, 3:30 p.m. Spend an hour learning code the fun and friendly way. Suitable for children and teens grades 3-12.
• April 22: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• April 26: Tuleyome Lecture Series, 6:30 p.m. Join Sacramento herpetologist Eric Hansen as he talks about the Giant Garter Snake, a reptile that is both state and federally listed, charismatic, and endemic to our region.
• April 26: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss.
• April 27: AP Exam Study Hall, 5:30 p.m. Come together with your classmates and prepare for your Advanced Placement Exams. Basic study and reference materials will be provided for each of the major AP courses. For high school students ages 13-18.
• April 28: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• April 28: Author Visit, 2:00 p.m. Join us to hear local author Jennifer Provenza talk about her book Life is But a Dream: A Novel, which tells the story of a woman living two lives in parallel universes.
• April 29: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is now held on the last Sunday of each month.
The following ongoing programs continue in April:
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Computer Help: Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m., Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m., Thursdays at 3:00 p.m., and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday at 1:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2.
• PJ Story Time: Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. For children ages 3-5.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Maker Kids: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children ages 8-12.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of April at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• April 10: Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros, 5:30 p.m. This is a free, multicultural program for the whole family featuring storytelling and a special performance. Participate in fun activities and receive a FREE book!
• April 28: Block Party, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
NOTICE: On April 16 all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for a staff development training.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.