Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
March Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – The following programs will be held during the month of March at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• March is Women’s History Month! Join us to honor women who have shaped America’s history and its future through their tireless commitment to ending discrimination against women and girls. Check out our book display and bibliography.
• March 1: Introductory Computer Class (Beginner Class), 10:30 a.m. Held on select Thursdays. Topics will include: Computers 101, Social Media, iPhones, Androids, the Microsoft Suite of programs and Google Drive. Registration is required and will be limited to the first nine signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register.
• March 3 through April 14: In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For every 5 books a child reads, he/she will receive a “Cover to Cover” Achievement Award, qualifying the participant for a free hamburger or cheeseburger at any In-N-Out Burger restaurant. Each participant may receive up to 3 certificates.
• March 3, 10 & 17: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Teen Room), 10:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library (1099-INT, 1095-T). Note: walk-ins will not be accepted after 12:00 p.m. This free service is provided every Saturday (except March 24 & 31) through April 15 by the UC Davis VITA group.
• March 3: Women in Science Festival, 1:00 p.m. Learn about women in science, from history to today. Try your hands at experiments and activities. All ages welcome. Presented by the Davis Science Collective.
• March 3: Block Party!, 2:00 p.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks. This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• March 7: Financial Literacy Series: All About Credit (Blanchard Room), 6:00 p.m. This seminar provides an overview of credit bureaus, credit scoring, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act, as well as specific guidance on disputing inaccuracies, improving your credit score, and dealing with identity theft and fraud. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• March 7: Science Really Says Book Club, 6:30 p.m. Come and discuss This Idea Must Die by John Brockman with friendly neighborhood scientists.
• March 9: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Come to the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch three episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• March 10: Annie and Elly Sing-Along, 2:00 p.m. Come for a fun sing-along of old-time songs with local folk duo. All ages are welcome.
• March 14: Pi Day, 2:00 p.m. Earn yourself a pie on pi day! If you can recite pi (π) to 50 digits (or more) after the decimal point, we will reward you with pie.
• March 14: #MeToo Panel Discussion, 7:00 p.m. Please join us for a panel discussion on sexual harassment and violence and the impact of the #MeToo movement.
• March 15: Introductory Computer Class, 10:30 a.m. Held on select Thursdays. Topics will include: Computers 101, Social Media, iPhones, Androids, the Microsoft Suite of programs and Google Drive. Registration is required and will be limited to the first nine signups. Call (530) 757-5588 to register.
• March 17: Family Fun Time—Bring the Fun Time Home!, 11:15 a.m. Join us for a special edition of our regular Family Fun Time! Learn how to replicate the fun and excitement of your favorite story times at home using our Early Learning Kits.
• March 17: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• March 17: Study & Chill (Blanchard Room), 5:30 p.m. Tea, coffee, light snacks, and a quiet place to study will be provided until 2:30 a.m. Please bring your student I.D. with you.
• March 18: Study & Chill (Blanchard Room), 5:00 p.m. Tea, coffee, light snacks, and a quiet place to study will be provided until 2:30 a.m. Please bring your student I.D. with you.
• March 19 – 21: Study & Chill (Blanchard Room), 9:00 p.m. Tea, coffee, light snacks, and a quiet place to study will be provided until 2:30 a.m. Please bring your student I.D. with you.
• March 18: Teen Advisory Group (Teen Space), 1:00 p.m. Join us in the teen space and learn how to get involved and make a difference at your library. Every month we meet to discuss special topics to plan and implement teen programs, volunteer opportunities, community projects to organize, and much more. No experience necessary. Snacks provided. Ages 13-18.
• March 18: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Learn to make the most of your garden. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• March 20: Virtual Reality Experience! (Teen Space), 3:45 p.m. Would you like a full immersion into a game world? Step into Virtual Reality (VR) here at the library. Must be 13 or older to use equipment.
• March 22: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us as we discuss Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly.
• March 25: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) and enjoy popcorn at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5596. This popular event is now held on the last Sunday of each month.
• March 25: Year Round Kitchen Gardening, 2:00 p.m. This small group explains how to grow and harvest your garden throughout the year. Sponsored by Master Gardeners.
• March 29: Hour of Code, 3:30 p.m. Spend an hour learning code the fun and friendly way. Suitable for children and teens grades 3-12.
• March 29: Tuleyome Lecture Series, 6:00 p.m. Come and learn about owls during this presentation by West Coast Falconry. There will be live birds at this presentation. Please do not wear anything with fur or feathers on it.
The following ongoing programs continue in March:
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate.
• Computer Help: Wednesdays at 3:30 p.m., Thursdays at 1:00 p.m., Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and Sundays at 1:00 p.m.
• English Conversation Groups: Mondays at 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday at 1:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2.
• PJ Story Time: Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. For children ages 3-5.
• Library Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Books are distributed at the meeting. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Maker Kids: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. (Blanchard Room). For children ages 8-12.
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of March at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• March 3: Balloon Powered Hovercraft, 11:00 a.m. Create a hovercraft from ordinary household materials. Experiment with shapes and surfaces. How far will your craft move?
• March 17: Block Party!, 11:00 a.m. Join us for hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.