Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
February Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of February at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• February is Black History Month! Join us in paying tribute to the generations of African Americans who have enriched America’s history and are instrumental in its future success. Check out our book displays and bibliography.
• February 1, 15: Tech Help 1-On-1, 3:00 p.m. If you have a question about your laptop, tablet or phone, bring it in to get answers. If you have a general technology problem, you can get help using our laptop or tablet. Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• February 3: Lunar New Year Celebration, 3:00 p.m. Join us in celebration of the year of the Dog beginning February 16, 2018. Families are invited to make crafts and watch Chinese instrument performers. Leave with a red envelope with goodies inside.
• February 4, 11, 18 & 25: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Sunday), 1:30 p.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Sunday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• February 5: Multi-Sensory Story Time, 12:00 p.m. Children (ages 1-5 years) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for an inclusive story time. There will be a focus on children with special sensory needs. We will be using adapted books and sensory toys.
• February 5: Sacramento Sunyata Meditation & Qi Gong, 4:30 p.m. All are invited to come and learn about the benefits of meditation and Qi Gong. Learn simple techniques that will enable you to reduce stress and anxiety, decrease blood pressure, improve digestion and increase self-awareness. No prior experience or knowledge needed. Please do not eat within two hours prior to the Qi Gong exercises and wear loose and comfortable clothing.
• February 7: Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA), 3:30 p.m. Come and meet a representative from the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency to learn about adult and dislocated worker training services. WIOA will be at the library only once a month.
• February 7 & 21: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on teen development through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided.
• February 8 & 22: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• February 9: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qi Gong Part XXVI, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXVI, we shall continue the early season of dispelling bad qi within our body and nourishing good qi in return. We shall also practice some of the Tai Chi and Qigong movements that help to strengthen the spinal cord and its flexibility. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome and no registration is required.
• February 10, 17 & 24: FREE Income Tax Return Help (Saturday), 8:00 a.m. Get help in preparing your 2017 Income Tax Return at the library. This free service is provided every Saturday through April 15 by the West Sacramento VITA group.
• February 10: Tech Help 1-On-1, 11:00 a.m. If you have a question about your laptop, tablet or phone, bring it in to get answers. If you have a general technology problem, you can get help using our laptop or tablet. Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or call (916) 375-6465.
• February 10: Valentine’s Day Card Making (Family Program), 3:00 p.m. Children of all ages and their parents/caregivers are invited to come out and create their own special Valentine’s Day card for themselves or someone special. Materials will be provided.
• February 12: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• February 12: S.T.E.A.M.ing Mad: Volcanoes, 4:00 p.m. Work with vinegar, baking soda, yeast, hydrogen peroxide and even ketchup. Learn about chemical reactions, types of volcanoes and basic volcanic facts. Great for tweens and teens.
• February 17: Family Movie, 3:00 p.m. Join us for a family-friendly movie rated G or PG shown on our giant screen, with free popcorn! Brought to you with the generous support of the West Sacramento Friends of the Library. Call the library for the title 916-375-6465.
• February 21: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out “What’s Happening” in West Sacramento and beyond.
• February 21: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be “The Sellout” by Paul Beatty. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• February 23: UCCE Yolo County Master Gardeners: Seed Starting, 12:00 p.m. Come and learn all about seed starting at the library. UCCE Yolo County Master Gardeners will show you how to start summer annuals by planting your veggies and summer flower seeds yourself. You will plant tomato and zinnia seeds to take home. This workshop is FREE. Bring your garden questions to the Q&A to be held after the workshop. For more information, contact UCCE Master Gardeners-Yolo County, (530) 666-8757 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• February 26: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading.
• February 28: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: email@example.com for more information.
The following ongoing programs continue in February:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading in a thirty-minute session with an older “buddy.” After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book. Registration required.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. FREE afterschool program for children in grades 3-8. Pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. For additional information contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
NOTICES: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed on February 19 for Presidents’ Day.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend and do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.