Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
December Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of December at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• December is Kindness Month. Participate this month in small acts of kindness. Join the Yolo County Library in giving this holiday season by contributing to the Yolo Food Bank. Bring in any non-perishable food item to your local Yolo County Library branch and receive $1 off an overdue fine for each item donated. There is no limit to donations or reductions of overdue fines. You may also contribute to the Pay it Forward program to help someone else with their fines. In addition, the Yolo County Library will offer a daily suggestion for a small act of kindness; one for each day of the month.
• December 2 & 3: West Sacramento Friends of the Library Book Sale. Hours are Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Paperbacks are $0.50 and hardbacks $1.00. Come for Bargain Sunday when materials are $4-a-bag. All proceeds benefit programs and collections at the library. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email to email@example.com for more information.
• December 2 & 16: Tech Help 1-On-1, 11:00 a.m. Do you want to learn how to get the best out of your laptop, tablet, or smartphone? Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or by calling (916) 375-6465.
• December 6: Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA), 11:00 a.m. Come and meet a representative from the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency to learn about adult and dislocated worker training services. WIOA will be at the library once a month for one hour.
• December 7: Tech Help 1-On-1, 3:00 p.m. Do you want to learn how to get the best out of your laptop, tablet, or smartphone? Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information Desk or by calling (916) 375-6465.
• December 7: Fair Housing Pop-Up Clinic, 3:00 p.m. Staff attorneys and coordinators will be on hand to assess and address a variety of your fair housing issues. If you have questions about your rights under the fair housing laws, come speak with Project Sentinel staff to get help.
• December 9: Gingerbread Man Decorating, 1:00 p.m. Come join us for a special Gingerbread man decorating event. You will be able to decorate your very own gingerbread man made out of cardboard.
• December 11: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• December 11: Holiday Concert, 6:00 p.m. Join us in the library for a free concert featuring the River City High School Jazz Band, named the Syncopating Sea Monkeys, directed by Ms. Felicia Weatherly.
• December 13: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on teen development through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided. This club will meet only once this month due to the holidays.
• December 14: Multi-Sensory Story Time, 6:00 p.m. Children (ages 1-5 years) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for an inclusive story time. There will be a focus on children with special sensory needs. We will be using adapted books and sensory toys.
• December 14 & 28: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• December 18: S.T.E.A.M.ing Mad: Holiday Lanterns, 4:00 p.m. Create a holiday lantern with a light using melted crayon art and popsicle sticks. Great for tweens and teens.
• December 18: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• December 20: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out ‘What’s Happening’ in West Sacramento and beyond.
• December 20: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. Come see old friends and meet new ones for a lively discussion. Books are collected and distributed at the meeting. This month’s reading selection will be The Little Paris Book Shop by Nina George. Please contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• December 27: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The following ongoing programs continue in December:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading in a thirty-minute session with an older “buddy.” After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. Participation is free and pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. For additional information contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
NOTICES: The Yolo County Library’s branches will be closed all day on December 24 and 25 in observance of Christmas, and January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Unless otherwise stated, all programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend and, with few exceptions, do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.