Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
October Programs at the Davis Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – The following programs will be held during the month of October at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, located at 315 E. 14th Street in Davis:
• October 4 & 18: Introductory Computer Class, 10:30 a.m. Registration is required and will be limited to the first nine signups. The class will be held on the first and third Wednesday of each month. The October class is full. Call (530)757-5588 to register for November 15.
• October 6, 7 & 8: Friends of the Davis Library Book Sale. Public hours are Friday 2:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Members can shop early at the book sale on Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• October 7: Block Party!, 2:00 p.m. Join us in the Children's Activity Room for two hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents and/or caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3.
• October 8 - 14: Teen Read Week. Unleash your story! Teens will be encouraged to tell their own stories as well as find stories, biographies, autobiographies, folktales, and more in the library. Visit the teen space at the library for more information.
• October 9: Yolo County Prostate Cancer Support Group, 7:00 p.m. This group helps support prostate cancer patients and their caregivers.
• October 10: Tuskegee Airmen Recall Flying the Skies, 6:30 p.m. Direct descendants of Tuskegee Airmen share stories of difficulties and contributions made by the first black military aviators. Presented by the Tuskegee Airmen Heritage Chapter.
• October 11: Chinese Language Film Series, 6:00 p.m. Join us for a screening of “Walking to School”. In Chinese with English subtitles. Films are screened on the second Wednesday of each month through February 2018.
• October 13: Anime After Hours, 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for Anime After Hours. Every second Friday we watch four episodes of the anime of your choice. Free pizza and popcorn while supplies last. Ages 13-18 only.
• October 14: DIY Costumes, 2:00 p.m. Bring your creativity and join us for a DIY costume workshop. Materials will be provided by the library, but feel free to bring special tools/materials for your unique costume idea.
• October 15: Yolo County Master Gardeners, 2:00 p.m. Come learn about garlic and onions. Bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session.
• October 15: Voice of the Wood, 3:00 p.m. Watch as stories come alive with dramatic narration and masked movement. Presented by Heidi Bekebrede and Dianna Craig. All ages welcome.
• October 17: NorCal Mystery Writers of America Presents “Bad Guys, Scary Stuff and Why We Write About Them,” 6:00 p.m. Listen to local NorCal Mystery Writers as they share their latest whodunit stories.
• October 18: Financial Literacy Series: Psychology of Spending, 6:00 p.m. Psychologists have found that there are several forces that govern our consumer behavior and cause us to make decisions that are not necessarily rational or in our best interest. However, understanding why we buy what we buy can help us make better decisions in the future. Presented by Travis Credit Union.
• October 21: Davis Origami Group, 1:00 p.m. Learn to fold paper into different shapes. First hour is for beginners; open to all ages and abilities.
• October 22: Teen Advisory Group, 1:00 p.m. Join us in the Teen Space and learn how to get involved and make a difference at your library. Every month we meet to discuss teen programs to implement, volunteer opportunities, community projects to organize, and much more. No experience necessary. Popcorn and pizza provided. Ages 13-18.
• October 23: Meditation Workshop with Dr. Zaslove, 6:00 p.m. Enjoy an evening of mindfulness with a board certified psychiatrist and long-time meditator.
• October 24: Aguas Frescas Series, 7:00 p.m. Come and drink aguas frescas (Spanish for cool waters) while creating a maker-project. October is Paper Flowers.
• October 25: WWI Series Part 2: LEST WE FORGET-- In It for the Long Haul, 6:00 p.m. Come learn the story of, and commemorate, all those from the Davis area who served, both at home and abroad, in the “War to End All Wars.”
• October 25 – November 1: Fantastic 2017 Costume Contest. Join us in celebrating our 6th anniversary on Facebook by participating in the annual costume contest. Library patrons can post their own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page at www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org or tag it #yolocountylibrary on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners! Patrons can also visit our branches wearing their costume and ask a staff member to take a picture of them. Prizes will be given to 5 winners from the public and 4 winners from the staff. Winners will be informed via Facebook and flyers at the branches by November 10.
• October 26: Tuleyome Lecture Series, 6:30 p.m. Join us for a lecture on “Environmental Art” presented by artist Ann Savageau who will discuss a selection of her environmental art installations.
• October 26: Davis Library Book Group, 7:00 p.m. Join us for a discussion of H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald.
• October 27: Teen Movie Night, 5:30 p.m. Join us in the Blanchard Room for an evening of Spooktacular movies. Free snacks while supplies last. Ages 13-18.
• October 29: Family Movie, 2:00 p.m. All children and their families are invited to view a family friendly movie (G or PG) at the library. For movie title call (530) 757-5593.
The following ongoing programs continue in October:
• “The Spot” Afterschool Club: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays at 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. For children in 3rd through 6th grades. Must submit a signed liability waiver to participate. (Blanchard Room)
• Computer Help: Mondays at 4:00 p.m., Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m., Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m., Thursdays at 3:00 p.m., and Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Groups: Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., Thursdays at 1:30 p.m., and Fridays at 2:00 p.m.
• Spanish Conversation Group: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
• One Stop Career Center: Tuesday through Friday at 1:00 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For children ages 2-3.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. For children ages 0-2.
• PJ Story Time: Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. For children ages 3-5.
• Book Club: Third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Small Conference Room. Formerly held at South Davis Montgomery. Note the new time and location.
• Active Older Adult Wisdom Circle: Second Thursday of the month at 10:15 a.m. Discuss and explore the conscious aging movement.
• Crafternoon Arts Group. Last Thursday of the month at 12:00 p.m. Bring your favorite craft or try one of ours. All ages are welcome.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story time: Fridays at 10:30 a.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Maker Kids: Fridays at 3:30 p.m. For children ages 8-12. (Blanchard Room)
• Tales for Tails: Fridays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 4-12.
• Family Fun Time: Saturdays at 11:15 a.m. All ages.
• 事 时 间 Chinese Story Time: Sundays at 3:00 p.m. For children ages 0-5. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
The following programs will be held during the month of October at the South Davis Montgomery Library, located at 1441 Danbury Street in Davis:
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Story Time: Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All ages. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• October 21: DIY Costumes, 11:00 a.m. Bring your creativity and join us for a DIY costume workshop. Materials will be provided by the library, but feel free to bring special tools/materials for your unique costume idea.
• October 28: Block Party!, 11:00 a.m. Join us in the Children's Activity Room for two hours of creation, design, and play with Lego Blocks! This is a drop-in program. Parents and/or caregivers are encouraged to stay and play alongside their children. Not recommended for children under 3. Note new day and time.
NOTICE: On October 16, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an All Staff Meeting.
All programs are free to attend and, unless otherwise stated, no registration is required. Programs are sponsored by the Friends of the Davis Public Library. For more information about events at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, contact library staff at (530) 757-5593, or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocounty.org (see calendar for Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.