Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
October Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of October at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• October 4: Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA), 11:00 a.m. Come and meet a representative from the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency to learn about adult and dislocated worker training services. WIOA will be at the library once a month.
• October 4: Fair Housing Workshop, 6:00 p.m. Join us and learn more about fair housing laws as well as recent developments in related topics such as sexual harassment, criminal history protections, racial discrimination, disability and new state protected categories. Come with questions.
• October 5: Fair Housing Pop-Up Clinic, 3:00 p.m. Staff attorneys and coordinators will be on hand to assess and address a variety of your fair housing issues. If you have questions about your rights under the fair housing laws, come speak with Project Sentinel staff to get help.
• October 5 & 19: Multi-Sensory Story Time, 6:00 p.m. Children (ages 1-5 years) and their parents or caregivers are invited to join us for an inclusive story time. There will be a focus on children with special sensory needs. We will be using adapted books and sensory toys.
• October 7 & 21: Tech Help 1-On-1, 11:00 a.m. Do you want to learn how to get the best out of your laptop, tablet, or smartphone? Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information desk or by calling (916) 375-6465.
• October 7: WWI Series Part 2: LEST WE FORGET-- In It for the Long Haul, 1:00 p.m. Come learn the story of, and commemorate, all those from the West Sacramento area who served, both at home and abroad, in the “War to End All Wars.”
• October 8 - 14: Teen Read Week. Unleash your story! Teens will be encouraged to tell their own stories as well as find stories, biographies, autobiographies, folktales, and more in the library. Check your teen space for more information.
• October 9: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant can choose a free book.
• October 9: Sugar Skull Mask Decorating, 5:00 p.m. Kids of all ages and their parents or caregivers are invited to come create and decorate their very own sugar skull mask. Materials will be provided.
• October 11 & 25: Teen Club (Teen Room), 5:00 p.m. Teens (ages 13-18) are invited to participate in our bi-weekly program at the library focused on teen development through engaging activities. Snacks will be provided.
• October 12 & 26: Tech Help 1-On-1, 3:00 p.m. Do you want to learn how to get the best out of your laptop, tablet, or smartphone? Bring your questions and get answers in a 20 minute 1-on-1 session with our tech help. Sessions are by appointment only. Please register at the Information desk or by calling (916) 375-6465.
• October 12: “I Am Your Neighbor—A Tale of Two Cities,” 6:00 p.m. Community members are invited to attend two double feature documentary film screenings that seek to bring awareness to the difficulties of breaking the cycle of poverty and homelessness. A panel discussion will be held between the two films: “Our Journey Home” and “Life in a Basket”. Attendees will have the opportunity to donate supplies and/or funds at the event to benefit the Annual West Sacramento Community Giveaway Day. Art from the YoloArts I SEE YOU program, which is created by adults who are experiencing homelessness, will be on display and available for sale, with proceeds directly benefiting the respective artists.
• October 12 & 26: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders, or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• October 14: Master Gardener Program Series: Saving Seeds, 10:00 a.m. UCCE Master Gardener Program of Yolo County will present a workshop at the library about saving seeds. Come learn something new and bring your gardening questions to the Q&A session. For more information, contact UCCE Master Gardener Program of Yolo County at (530) 666-8757 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
• October 14: Puerto Rican Heritage in West Sacramento, 1:00 p.m. Come learn about the rich Puerto Rican heritage in West Sacramento. A local poet and expert on Puerto Rican heritage will be at the program.
• October 16: S.T.E.A.M.ing Mad: Haunting Halloween, 4:00 p.m. Learn about the science of liquids, solids and gases. Experiment with carbon dioxide and helium. Create a haunting atmosphere from dry ice. Take home a helium balloon.
• October 18: What’s Happening Seniors?, 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out ‘What’s Happening’ in West Sacramento and beyond.
• October 18: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. This month’s reading selection will be Tigerfish by Hoang Chi Truong. Contact Cindy at (916) 731-5504 for more information.
• October 21: Pumpkin Carving, 1:00 p.m. Kids of all ages and their parents or caregivers are invited to come and carve their very own pumpkin. Supplies and pumpkins will be provided. First come, first serve while supplies last.
October 23: Tales for Tails, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. You will meet up to four very special dogs and their handlers. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading. After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• October 23: Adult Using Virtual Reality, 6:00 p.m. Join us in the Community Room for virtual reality fun beyond your imagination. Visit places around the world, swim with sharks or tour the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa up close. This event is for adults aged 18 years and older. Please call 916-375-6465 for more information about virtual reality programs at the library.
• October 25: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:00 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• October 25 – November 1: Fantastic 2017 Costume Contest. Join us in celebrating our 6th anniversary on Facebook by participating in the annual costume contest. Library patrons can post their own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page at www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org or tag it #yolocountylibrary on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners! Patrons can also visit our branches wearing their costume and ask a staff member to take a picture of them. Winners will be announced by November 10.
• October 27: Therapeutic Tai Chi and Qigong Part XXIII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility, and fall prevention. In part XXIII, we will continue to learn the Ba Duan Jin movements known as the Eight Pieces of Brocade or Eight Silken Movements while sitting down. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats and chairs will be provided. New participants are welcome. No registration required.
The following ongoing programs continue in October:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m. Practice reading in a thirty-minute session with an older “buddy.” After 10 visits a participant may choose a free book.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. Participation is free and pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. For additional information contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
NOTICE: On October 16, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an All Staff Meeting.
All programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend and, with few exceptions, do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465 or visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events). Connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.