Yolo County Manager of Operations & Strategy
(Public Information Officer)
625 Court Street, Room 202
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
May Programs at the West Sacramento Branch Library
(Woodland, CA) – All are welcome to participate in the following special programs held during the month of May at Yolo County’s Arthur F. Turner Community Library, located at 1212 Merkley Avenue in West Sacramento:
• May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month! Join us in paying tribute to the generations of Asian and Pacific Islanders who have enriched America’s history and are instrumental in its future success. Check out related books and see a display of early settlement of Asian Americans in Yolo County.
• May 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31: Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA), 11:00 a.m. Come and meet a representative from the Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency to learn about adult and dislocated worker training services.
• May 6: WWI Series: Lest We Forget, 1:00 p.m. Presented by the Yolo County Archives, this event is to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of all those from the West Sacramento area who served both at home and abroad in the “War to End All Wars.”
• May 7: Love on a Leash, 4:00 p.m. Children (ages 6-12) are invited to join us for a fun “Read to a Dog” program. Love on a Leash® (LOAL) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal assisted therapy. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with their child to help with the reading.
• May 9: Monthly Computer Class: Google+, 9:30 a.m. Google is not just a search engine. Come learn how a Google email address can give you access to calendars, maps, videos, pictures and much more. A library card and PIN are required and experience using a computer is highly recommended. Register in person at the Reference desk or by phone at: (916) 375-6465. Space is limited.
• May 10: Book Face Challenge, 4:00 p.m. Teens and tweens come search through the shelves for your perfect book and take a picture with it. Best ‘Book Face’ wins a prize!
• May 11 & 25: All Things String, 6:00 p.m. This crafting circle is for anyone who knits, crochets, embroiders or enjoys fiber art. Bring a project or start something new.
• May 13: Making Paper Flowers, 1:00 p.m. Families are invited to participate in our making paper flowers program. Learn how to create different styles of flowers out of paper. All materials will be provided.
• May 13: Knitting with Recycled Plastic Bags, 3:00 p.m. Come and create fun and useful items (bags, mats, stuffed animals and more) from plastic grocery bags! You will learn how to cut and prepare grocery bags into “yarn.” Please bring your crochet or knitting needles. A basic knowledge of knitting is required.
• May 17: What’s Happening Seniors? 12:00 p.m. Are you looking to get together with active seniors and make new friends? Come share stories, learn from one another and find out ‘What’s Happening’ in West Sacramento and beyond.
• May 19: Evening Book Club, 6:00 p.m. This month’s reading selection will be Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas. Please contact Cindy at 916-731-5504 for more information.
• May 19: Tai Chi and Qigong Part XVIII, 4:00 p.m. Learn a series of movements and breathing exercises for general wellness, stress relief, physical balance, flexibility and fall prevention. In part XVIII, we will learn selected tai chi and qigong movements that have been recognized by the Arthritis Foundation, National Institute of Health and Harvard Medical School for better health and wellbeing. Come in comfortable clothing; floor mats will be provided. New participants are welcome.
• May 20: Master Gardener Series: Dealing with Vertebrates and Pests, 3:00 p.m. Come and learn how to deal with vertebrates and pests in your garden. This FREE workshop is presented by UCCE Master Gardeners-Yolo County. Bring your garden questions. For more information, contact UCCE Master Gardeners-Yolo County at: (530) 666-8757 or by email at: email@example.com.
• May 31: West Sacramento Friends of the Library (WSFOL) Meeting, 6:30 p.m. This non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is dedicated to serving the West Sacramento community through supporting library programs and services, and welcomes new members. Please contact the WSFOL directly at (916) 375-6465, ext. 4 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The following ongoing programs continue in May:
• Buddy Reading: Mondays at 4:30 p.m.
• Mother Goose on the Loose: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Bilingual Russian Story Time: Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bilingual Spanish Story Time: Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Preschool Story Time: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Tales for Tails: Fourth Monday of the month at 4:00 p.m. Parents/caregivers are asked to stay with the child to help with reading.
• Hug-a-Bye Baby: Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
• English Conversation Group: Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
• Homework Center: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. Participation is free and pre-registration is required at the Information Desk. For additional information contact the Homework Center Assistant at (916) 375-6469.
NOTICES: All Yolo County Library branches will be closed on May 29, in observance of Memorial Day.
All programs are sponsored by the West Sacramento Friends of the Library, are free to attend and, with some exceptions, do not require registration. For more information about events at the Arthur F. Turner Community Library, contact library staff at (916) 375-6465, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Arthur F. Turner Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.